88 Fiero GT- 3 speed TH125 transmission leak by chaotichamster9
Started on: 09-18-2018 08:14 AM
Replies: 3 (116 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 09-18-2018 01:04 PM
chaotichamster9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chaotichamster9Send a Private Message to chaotichamster9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve been looking at an 88 GT for sale and while going over pictures the owner has sent me I noticed that RTV sealer had been used on the side of the transmission behind where the valve body cover is located. So I can see the valve body body cover, the valve body cover gasket, and then the RTV is sealing the line right behind what I believe is the cover plate covering the chain. Is anyone familiar with leaks in this area? Owner says the car shifts and drives fine and that it is most likely a gasket leak but I’m now very cautious. In the link I’ve included I believe the gasket in question would be part# 324 at the top of the second page. Is this a red flag? TH-125 Parts
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
chaotichamster9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chaotichamster9Send a Private Message to chaotichamster9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Leak image Here is an actual picture of what it looks like.
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never seen a leak in that location! Had the PO indicated there was a leak? Another thought, ask the owner if there was any work done the transmission? A few probing questions might get the information you seek.

[This message has been edited by Cajun (edited 09-18-2018).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's an odd location for a leak but it looks like the seal around the shift lever shaft.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock