fiero cam break in by Eltsyrk
Started on: 09-16-2018 01:14 PM
Replies: 8 (237 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 09-21-2018 10:11 PM
Eltsyrk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EltsyrkSend a Private Message to EltsyrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would like to appoligise there is going to be alot of lists in this first topic so all info is covered the history of this engine is that i receved the engine back in june or may i primed the oil for about 1-2 minutes with a drill when i put the distributor into it around 1 month ago -1.5 months ago i just today got the engine to actually turn and sputter a little big maybe ran for a total of 10 seconds before that we had issues with the starter so i cranked it for maybe a combined 30 seconds maybe 45 seconds at the most before the starter worked properly. the engine will turn on and sputter but wont stay running i am wondering for any hints on how to possibly get this engine running the best i can and to ensure proper cam break in the only things changed are .020 over and 260h cam with 1.6 rockers with down pipe dumping into open air bassically the two questions i am asking are what should i do as a procautionary and would me cranking on the engine for as long as i did cause issues

------------------
1986 fiero se 2.8 v6 4 speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have gas in the tank?
You'd be amazed how many people overlook this.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Eltsyrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EltsyrkSend a Private Message to EltsyrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Do you have gas in the tank?
You'd be amazed how many people overlook this.

yes i have about 3/4 of a tank in the car based on guage whether or not this is correct .my bigest issue is how long can i actually crank on this motor during break in porses im worried that me trying to figure out a way to get this motor working ill break the cam before i will even have a chance to run the engine at 2000 rpm

[This message has been edited by Eltsyrk (edited 09-16-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eltsyrk:

yes i have about 3/4 of a tank in the car based on guage whether or not this is correct

Well, that's the point fierosound is making... you can't entirely trust the gas gauge!

At least push the schrader valve on the fuel rail open to make sure you have decent fuel pressure after the key's been turned. The use of a fuel pressure tester would be better of course.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-16-2018).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you adjust the valves?
How old is the gas?
Do you give it some throttle to see if it runs on throttle?
Did you try moving the distributor to see were it runs the best while keeping it alive with the throttle?
Eltsyrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EltsyrkSend a Private Message to EltsyrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

How old is the gas?
Did you try moving the distributor to see were it runs the best while keeping it alive with the throttle?

it wont stay running no matter what we have adjusted the throttle adjusted timing and the gas is from atleast august/october of last year and what do you mean by adjusting the valves i had someone build the engine for me all i did was put valve covers and intake on

------------------

Eltsyrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EltsyrkSend a Private Message to EltsyrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

How old is the gas?

it wont stay running no matter what we have adjusted the throttle adjusted timing and the gas is from atleast august/october of last year and what do you mean by adjusting the valves i had someone build the engine for me all i did was put valve covers and intake on

------------------

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, if that person is used to build Chevys then he put the timing chain incorrectly. I have seen it many times.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2186 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Dump this in your oil if you don't have breaking oil.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock