3.4 dohc swap starting problems by Sietetx
Started on: 09-15-2018 09:46 PM
Replies: 7 (204 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 10-01-2018 11:25 PM
Sietetx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2018 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SietetxSend a Private Message to SietetxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a pretty long story but, I started a swap about 6 years ago. I went through a couple of F bodies and this took a back seat and sat out at my dad's. It's been sitting out in his driveway under a tarp. I finally got it back recently. I went over the wiring like 3 or 4 times. Everything seems wired up right. (it did run 6 years ago but at the time it was automatic and it broke the transmission. So I got a new ecm with a chip by Darth Fiero did a manual conversion and got everything for manual)

Ok, so I'm running the wiring and ecm for a 94 lumina. So obd 1.5. I can get it to crank, I've checked that I have spark and I do. Replaced the old fuel pump with a new one and it has pressure at the rail ( Schrader valve shoots fuel up past cars roof height) and it still won't start. I'm pretty certain the wires are in the correct firing order.

Is there anything I should check? Injectors? Something weird, I'd check the codes but the CEL won't turn off so it doesn't flash the codes.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a test light on your injectors and see if they are firing.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the wires at the cranks sensor.

dan
Sietetx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SietetxSend a Private Message to SietetxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gonna check the injectors with the test light today. Last I looked the wires at the cranks sensor seemed ok. I'll take another look at them though.
Fierogtfan88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierogtfan88Send a Private Message to Fierogtfan88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having the same problem with my 3.4 DOHC. It will start and sometimes run for 1 minute and sometimes for 30 minutes, then it just dies. I will turn the key off for 10 seconds and it will start back up. I do have spark, I do have fuel pressure of 37-38 psi. I have a new fuel pump, new fuel sending unit, new fuel pressure regulator, new TPS and new Fuel Pump Relay. Still having the same problem. And to let you all know, it only dies while at idle. Never when it is driving down the road. I am now thinking it may be an Idle Air Control Valve, a vacuum issue or maybe even a Ignition Control Switch. At this point I am reaching since I have tried so many things and it keeps dying when I come back to an idle. I did have Darth do my chip and the car did run great for the first 1000 miles of the swap. That was three years ago all the problems began and I am still chasing the problem. Anyone have any thoughts?
Sietetx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2018 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SietetxSend a Private Message to SietetxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the fuel rail and cleaned it and the injectors. Used a test light to check at pin A on the gray engine harness connector and it tested ok. I'm gonna put everything back together and see if it'll start
Sietetx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2018 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SietetxSend a Private Message to SietetxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/oIEcnyIFrhc

This is what's happening as of now. It has spark, fuel injectors are spraying.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2018 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you must have copied/pasted my 3.4 DOHC thread from about 10 years ago... :-)

Its your injectors.... do not do another thing until you get new or cleaned injectors.

I was told this by more than one person, I didn't listen. When I did finally put new injectors in, the car started the first time and ran great.

Get new/clean injectors now.

Rob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock