Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What to look for, when buying a Northstar?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What to look for, when buying a Northstar? by Slabsurfer
Started on: 09-14-2018 07:56 AM
Replies: 18 (499 views)
Last post by: Will on 09-28-2018 08:10 PM
Slabsurfer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2018 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to pick up a motor, tomorrow morning. It's a Northstar from a 1999 Eldorado, that was running when pulled and had less than 70k mi.

It's out of the car, but still sitting on the subframe with tranny. I'm told it's missing a few things like the alternator and CPU and also that the harness has been cut.

What should I look for, ask about or what can I do to test anything?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post09-14-2018 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me, I wouldn't consider it for more than parts and I wouldn't buy it for parts thinking about it. ."Running" doesn't mean it didn't have the head bolt overheating problem. I've got two spare ones that I've pulled myself and came from insurance totals which were obviously accident insurance totals. No it's not known that they won't overhead, but it means they were running and driving when wrecked and you can gather information from the vehicles to determine how well they were maintained and sometimes discover the previous owners to speak with them. I've called previous owners of cars found in junk yards and offered them a free lunch if I could pick their thoughts on the condition of cars and engines they once owned.

There are pick a part places in KC. It's not hard to pull these engines. I suggest you remove the nuts bolts on the eng/trans mounts before dropping the cradle because a couple are hard to get to once it's on the ground. It only takes a couple of hours.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 09-14-2018).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2018 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is the car it came out of nearby? see if the tailpipe area is covered in soot. seen way to many of them thing burn oil like crazy. maybe bring a battery, cables, and a compression gauge? while I have never cranked a starter when engine on a cradle, I have done it on an engine stand.
Slabsurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2018 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hear you, Sourmash. I'm going to also pick up another one that doesn't run due to unknown electrical issues. The long term plan is to properly build it up.
This one is just to get the swap in. A failure and rebuild is expected.

Pyrthian, a compression test is a good idea. Thanks for the reminder. Did I read correctly that the starter is under the intake, in the valley? If so, where are the leads outside the motor?

I don't know if it's a wives tale or not, but I've heard that these motors do better with oil consumption when run more aggressively than average.

I appreciate the feedback!
Slabsurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2018 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Slabsurfer

41 posts
Member since Aug 2015
Does anyone know if the starter is grounded to the block?
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are two big problems with Northstars, both of which are hard to detect with the engine not running.

1) Head bolt threads let go, resulting in loss of head gasket seal. This of course renders the engine unusable. The fix is to install steel inserts in the head bolt holes and the fix is permanent.

2) The Northstar has an aggressive hone pattern on the bore walls so that it can live forever at 6500 RPM. When driven by timid grandmothers who never use more than 20% throttle, this extra oil turns into carbon deposits on the rings that reduce oil ring effectiveness and cause the engine to blow oil smoke and burn more oil. While there are "carbon removal" procedures which can be done with the engine assembled, they're not that effective. The real fix is to tear the engine down and clean the pistons and rings by soaking in carb cleaner to remove the carbon, then reassembling. Drive it like you stole it and the problem will never recurr.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 09-17-2018).]

Slabsurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Will!

What kind of oil filter adapters have been used to relocate the filter?
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

There are two big problems with Northstars, both of which are hard to detect with the engine not running.

1) Head bolt threads let go, resulting in loss of head gasket seal. This of course renders the engine unusable. The fix is to install steel inserts in the head bolt holes and the fix is permanent.

2) The Northstar has an aggressive hone pattern on the bore walls so that it can live forever at 6500 RPM. When driven by timid grandmothers who never use more than 20% throttle, this extra oil turns into carbon deposits on the rings that reduce oil ring effectiveness and cause the engine to blow oil smoke and burn more oil. While there are "carbon removal" procedures which can be done with the engine assembled, they're not that effective. The real fix is to tear the engine down and clean the pistons and rings by soaking in carb cleaner to remove the carbon, then reassembling. Drive it like you stole it and the problem will never recurr.

Problem is that over-revving the engine increases the likelihood that the head bolts will let go. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That said, my 2002 Deville has been granny driven and it burns no oil. It does drip a lot though lol.
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That a nice low mileage Northstar.

A resource on Northstars, if you are interested, is the Caddilac forums. Take a look at the Northstar and technincal systems section: https://www.cadillacforums....echnical-discussion/
Good starting body of info for your perusal. Check out the stickys.

Have you decided what transmission you want? Manual or auto 4T80e?

Since its out of the car, look at the following items:
-Case-halfs leaking?
-Porous aluminum block. Any antifreeze weep stains?
-Make sure the block rotates. You can use a socket and breaker bar or charge the starter. There should be a fat + wire that is under the intake that exits out the back area between the block and intake. It may still have an eyelet on the end.
-Check the oil for coolant contamination
-Check the water for oil contamination

Fix the Northstar head bolt issue and you will have a bombproof engine that will last a long time that gets decent fuel mileage for a 275-300HP engine. Its just a matter of time before one of the heads let loose. We did what Will suggests. We put Norm's steel inserts in our blocks with Volkswagen studs. You can also use Jake's studs specifically made for the Northstar.

I have three Northstar Fieros and like them a lot.
Slabsurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the check list! I do think that I've run across the Cadillac forums before and will bookmark it, now.

As for the head studs, how many here have used this:
http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php
B

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2018 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slabsurfer:

Thanks, Will!

What kind of oil filter adapters have been used to relocate the filter?

There are a couple of different variants used by GM. Most did not have provisions for an oil cooler, but a few did. '04 (I think) and older are retained by two bolts. '05+ added a third.

CHRF made a remote filter adapter plate, but it's nothing but a plate that bolts on to the block with female 3/4" (IIRC) NPT threads on the outside.

Thanks for the check list! I do think that I've run across the Cadillac forums before and will bookmark it, now.

As for the head studs, how many here have used this:
http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php
B

Permanently installed studs make a future "courtesy pass" on the block deck impossible, thus ensuring you scrap the block if you ever need to update the build. I used standard timeserts with ARP studs for a VW (Kit #204-4204, Qty: 2) and have not had problems. I also used Cometic MLS gaskets, which can be used to tighten up quench clearance and bump compression a little bit.

ARP now has a rod bolt kit too: http://www.arpstore.com/arp...ar-rod-bolt-kit.html
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

That a nice low mileage Northstar.

A resource on Northstars, if you are interested, is the Caddilac forums. Take a look at the Northstar and technincal systems section: https://www.cadillacforums....echnical-discussion/
Good starting body of info for your perusal. Check out the stickys.

I've always found the signal/noise ratio there to be horrendous. You have to already know what you're doing with the engine to separate the bad info from the good. No, '93's did *NOT* have forged pistons.
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2018 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to add Will's build, under Northstar resources in the post above, for you to peruse: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000121.html

Slabsurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2018 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

I forgot to add Will's build, under Northstar resources in the post above, for you to peruse: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000121.html

Thanks for all that. Posts by Will do show up a lot in my searches. Good stuff & appreciate him sharing content.

I'm still collecting the odds & ends. I have a flywheel so I can use the stock Getrag on my 88 GT. But, still need a clutch.

I'm also doing searches to find out what others have done for exhausts that allows me to keep the trunk.

B

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2018 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm also doing searches to find out what others have done for exhausts that allows me to keep the trunk.

*AHEM*
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000121-17.html#p660

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 09-27-2018).]

Slabsurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2018 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

*AHEM*
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000121-17.html#p660

Hahaha! I book marked that page, just this afternoon!

I kept skimming from there, while at work.

Excellent work!

B

[This message has been edited by Slabsurfer (edited 09-27-2018).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2018 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

Problem is that over-revving the engine increases the likelihood that the head bolts will let go. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That said, my 2002 Deville has been granny driven and it burns no oil. It does drip a lot though lol.

With stock electronics and automatic transmission, over-revving is impossible.
Lack of regular coolant replacement is as much responsible for the head bolt thread corrosion situation as anything else. The Northstar's relatively fine M11x1.5 head bolt threads are subject to stress corrosion cracking in the casting alloy the Northstar blocks are made from, while the coarser M11x2.0 threads that the LS (and '05+ Northstars) use does not suffer from that problem.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2018 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When buying a NorthStar, a good thing to look for is a time-sert kit.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2018 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

When buying a NorthStar, a good thing to look for is a time-sert kit.

Quoted for truth

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock