Steering stabilizer by JMTUT
Started on: 08-13-2018 03:40 PM
Replies: 6 (604 views)
Last post by: sledcaddie on 02-22-2020 08:08 PM
JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 SE 2.5L with 155k on it. I've slowly been reworking the car. Today I bought a steering stabilizer because I thought it couldn't hurt. It turns out that was the best $30 and ten minutes of installing I've done on the car so far. I was delighted by the difference in road feel for the car. Small divots in the road don't seem as rough and I enjoy driving around town a lot more. The steering effort has no noticeable difference. I know there are differing opinions on the forum but I would invite anyone to spend the $30.00 and check out the difference.

I bought mine at Pep boys. It is a Monroe replacement stabilizer. It is also larger in diameter than the original but still fits with about 0.25" clearance from the rack.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. On my car it did not seem to do much. I am glad yours was an improvement.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2018 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No surprise.
Good ones don't add more steering effort for normal driving, not even for racing, because you can't turn fast enough to activate the valve(s) in them.
But hit a pot hole etc and the impact is controlled by same valve(s).

Nearly all saying "Steering stabilizer are crap" has bad units causing problems or just echoing same crap.
Many think 88 doesn't have this but GM deleted this and other items to save GM money not to help you in most cases.
While not as "bad" as worn shocks/struts, they do wear out over time and need replacement. How often depend how bad your roads are.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Pinecoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2018 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PinecoonSend a Private Message to PinecoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed my 84 can get kinda darty on the expressway. Just thinking about turning will make it go from one side of the lane to the other and i'm suspecting that the stabilizer is the culprit because it is so badly rotted that it has holes in it. I really should replace it before this weekend because i'm taking her to Detroit for the annual dream cruise.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2018 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pinecoon:
I noticed my 84 can get kinda darty on the expressway. Just thinking about turning will make it go from one side of the lane to the other and i'm suspecting that the stabilizer is the culprit because it is so badly rotted that it has holes in it. I really should replace it before this weekend because i'm taking her to Detroit for the annual dream cruise.
Their not really made to stop this so replace the stabilizer may help but likely have other problems... iffy alignment to crap ball joints and/or bushings can have same or worse steering problem.
You can have good alignment on the machine but still have crap parts in the car. Unless damage is obvious many shops and you won't see what's wrong until you take apart the 30+ years old suspension.

Iffy Rear suspension can fake problems in the front too. Including cradle bushings etc.
See my Cave, Bump Steer and rest of section.

Even when all of them are fixed and alignment is Perfect (not likely), some roads hate some tires and still have problems until you buy new tires.
Even then some roads causes problem to most cars not just Fiero because how the road is crowned etc. Crowning helps rain to drain but roads w/ 2 or more lanes per direction often have lanes steering you to the left right or neither depending which one you're in. Road rutting can cause weird problem too. Basically Your car's tire track doesn't match the ruts in the pavement cause mainly by big trucks making the tires tread to load unevenly. Most time you can't see them but car goes where the ruts steers you. Sometimes can change lanes to help or not.
montegut

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2020 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for montegutSend a Private Message to montegutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noticed what looked like clear oil under the front of my 87 GT. Checked the front suspension and found a small fluid leak from the steering stabilizer. I read the posts where some say it was not needed. Bought a stock replacement and installed it this afternoon. Made no difference in steering effort as expected but made a noticeable difference in steering wheel vibration. I have to drive at times on not the best country roads and it was definitely worth replacing.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2020 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by theogre:

"GM deleted this and other items to save GM money not to help you.."

Actually, I've read that this steering damper was eliminated due to the 1988 redesign of the front suspension angles and caster.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock