Distributor for a Cadillac 4.9 by patkagi
Started on: 08-07-2018 03:28 PM
Replies: 6 (499 views)
Last post by: bjm362 on 08-23-2018 07:07 AM
patkagi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for patkagiClick Here to visit patkagi's HomePageSend a Private Message to patkagiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My distributor fell apart the other day and I am looking for a replacement. I'm running a Cadillac 4.9 v8 with a 4.5 intake manifold and a Holly 500 carb. The distributor bushing froze up and destroyed the housing. If anyone has a replacement for sale, please let me know. I'm anxious to get my Fiero back on the road again. From what I understand, I need a distributor from a Cadillac 4.1 or early 4.5 V8. The shaft is a cut down version from a Oldsmobile or Buick, but I have no idea which year or engine.

Thanks,
Pat
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a thread with some info.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/127788.html

My guess- sounds like an Olds HEI that isn't computer controlled so like a '79 260 distributor. The Olds shaft, advance weights, springs, rotor mount, module need to be swapped over to an undamaged Cadillac 4.1 distributor body.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 Auto
65 Tempest 400 CID
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6
2015 BMW 535iX M Sport
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2018 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are lots of caddys at the local pick and pull here in Wisconsin. None up there in the north?
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2018 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The HT series Cadi engines were notorious for munching distributors. Because it has been so long since they were main stream, I am adding this by memory.
We had many cases of the HT series having idle roughness. The result being sloppy distributors. Many would have torn up gears. Some cracked gears. To the point when we replaced the distributors we had to inspect the gear on the cam to make sure it was not also damaged.
If you have had a distributor fail due to top bushing failure, check your gear. Due to the angle that the shaft will run, when the bushing fails, the gears are worn at bad angles. The 4.1s seemed to be the worst for this. They also seemed to be the worst for slugging up the top end.
When you reassemble the distributor. Make sure you clean off all the varnished and caked oil on the shaft. This tends to migrate up the shaft under the bushing. Binding it up. I would apply a good quality moly grease inside the shaft bore, just under the top bushing.
patkagi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for patkagiClick Here to visit patkagi's HomePageSend a Private Message to patkagiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! This is great information. Since I have an older conversion that I bought, this information is helpful to maintain the car and get it back in working condition. It is possible that other owners with similar conversions will one day run into the same issue as I have. I think that a routine maintenance for the distributor should be scheduled.
Pat
patkagi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for patkagiClick Here to visit patkagi's HomePageSend a Private Message to patkagiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am working with a rebuilder of Cadillac distributors and they want to know what the model and year is for the 4.1 distributor that I need. They mention there there are a couple of variations and the only way to know for sure which distributor to send is to obtain that information.
Does anyone know what Cadillac model and year that I should tell him?
bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2018 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently acquired an 88 GT wit a Caddy 4.5 already in it. Shortly after doing that, I started looking around at what is out there for it. Cadillac used variations of that engine in quite a few cars so there should be a decent or a at least rebuildable distributor in a salvage yard near you.... Seville, El Dorado, Deville etc...
There are a lot of parts that will not cross fit, but I would think you should be able to find a workable distributor in most variations. That is off of the top of my head though, so you may want to do more research...

My 4500 came from a 88 Seville
. They started making the 4900 in 89 if that helps.

Also if you can get the numbers off of the block, you should be able to search out what your engine came out of, Year, Make and Model.

I hope there is at least something in there that helps...

[This message has been edited by bjm362 (edited 08-23-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock