2.8 Air cleaner to throttle body ductwork/hose cleaning by viperine
Started on: 07-24-2018 12:27 AM
Replies: 9 (310 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 07-24-2018 10:04 PM
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2018 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The intake tube that connects the air cleaner to the throttle body on a 2.8. Has anyone successfully cleaned it? Any time I work on any of my cars (even the 66k mile formula), if I have to touch/remove this duct, my hands are pitch black afterwards
. Is there a trick to cleaning this? It's the worst source of black hands and black arms if I work past it still installed!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2018 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine isn't impregnated with gunk...

Have you tried degreaser/hot water/scrubbing?
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2018 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it old and dry? Leaves that black dust on you? If so, try cleaning it in Dawn then wiping it down really good with silicone and not an oil based lube.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2018 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not only age, but many engine cleaners and degreasers will degrade the rubber. After giving it a good scrubbing with Dawn as suggested, let it dry, then spray it with 303 Marine Aerospace Protectant. Wipe it down with a cloth and let it dry. Probably best to lay the part on an old bath towel because it can leave a stain on some things like concrete and wood. The stuff works very well on all the weather seals, too. That's what it's actually made for. I had some when I had my boats and in all the years, I never had any of the rubber to start to chalk or dry and crack.
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2018 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How to clean your whole engine bay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2018 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

... then spray it with 303 Marine Aerospace Protectant. ...

I wrote a note to look into this.

Like fierofool suggested, it helps door seals and such to clean them and lubricate. I have always used silicone spray on a rag and buff to an even shine. No squeaks, or air rushing into my GT.

Heck, I even do this to an older fridge that we have. Clean the seals and lubricate. Like new and it is a fridge from the 80's.

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2018 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good suggestions so far! Silicone spray was in mind, but I felt the actual material that transfers to skin so easily might be difficult to eliminate. This duct will eventually be another hard-to-replace part for our cars, so, no time like the present to treat it right.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2018 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hesitate to use silicone sprays around an automobile. Silicone travels. It transfers from one surface to another to another. It can cause all types problems if you're trying to paint your car or interior or even engine parts. It can cause problems with electric motors that use brushes.

Found this about the 303. I didn't know it is sold by WalMart. If your store doesn't have, you can order it online. This, from the WalMart website:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/...=9010825&wl6=&wl7=&w l8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=25607506&wl13=&veh=sem

About This Item
We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it.
No other product provides this much protection for your boat and water gear. Use Aerospace Protectant to keep your boat's seats, sails, hull and windows colorful and clean. Aerospace's marine formula is a premium protectant designed to safeguard boats and boat equipment against the damaging effects of daily exposure to UV rays. It's safe for use on outdoor gear and apparel, too. Simply spray on and wipe dry to restore color and luster, repel stains from suntan oil and prevent fading even in the harshest marine conditions and sunniest climates. Aerospace Protectant will even help keep fishing gear clean and prevent inflatable boats from sticking together during storage. Use only on clean, dry surfaces. For best results use 303 Multi-Surface Cleaner. Place a drop cloth under the cleaner to be treated to catch any overspray.
303 (30306) Marine Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 oz:

Powerful UV blockers prevent fading, cracking and premature aging
Dries to a clear matte finish
Restores lost color and luster
Easy to use: Simply spray on and wipe dry
Safe and effective for: vinyl, Plexiglas, carbon fiber, rubber, plastics and finished leather

Warnings:
California Proposition 65 Warning: WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-24-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2018 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rubber/plastic can make you black etc on and in the car because they can breakdown from many things besides leaking oil or covered w/ whatever.
Big example: UV and Ground level Ozone will attack tires, wipers, hoses and more even on parked cars.

Fiero Engine Bay gets both UV and Ozone because of the vents. Proof? Many Fiero have EVAP cans faded to gray even white for this. More so w/ vents and hex punch screens under them.

Many things that claim to protect can be bad in the long run too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2018 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I hesitate to use silicone sprays around an automobile. Silicone travels. It transfers from one surface to another to another. It can cause all types problems if you're trying to paint your car or interior or even engine parts. It can cause problems with electric motors that use brushes.

Door seals are made of siliconized rubber.

I do not spray it on the seals myself. I use a clean dry rag and spray the rag beforehand.

Good advice though fierofool.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock