Radio volume knob fix by 2.5
Started on: 07-16-2018 03:07 PM
Replies: 3 (147 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 07-17-2018 07:20 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not perfectly clear if he means this will fix when you turn the knob up and the volume:
doesn't go up/ goes down, or goes waaaaay up.
But that is the issue I have had on car volume knobs.

I think I would use contact cleaner, but not WD40
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TopNotch had also recommended WD40. I tried it and it's been working for about a year. There's also someone on here that offers a repaired module to replace the defective one. They might also be available through ReplacementRadios.Com or Crutchfield.Com
OldGuyinaGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I completely with 2.5 - use contact cleaner, not WD40. That stuff will get everywhere in the radio, and while it might not cause problems, it will make a mess. WD40 doesn't belong in electronic gear, except maybe in very small doses as a lubricant only. The problem we're trying to address here is poor contact at the wiper of a potentiometer, usually due to some dust or other crud getting in. Contact cleaners are not hard to come by - even the Home Depot by me carries 3 or 4 different varieties (even one that's a WD40 product!). I will say that the video shows a creative way to get whatever cleaner you use in there, and should work with contact cleaners, as most come with the little red tubes, too. Contact cleaners usually evaporate very quickly, which is good because they all tell you let the components dry completely before energizing them to avoid possible high resistance shorts due to the liquid.

------------------
88 Fiero GT - Work in Progress

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used contact cleaner when I serviced golf course irrigation stations. It was used to clean relay contacts and sockets. You must be careful because some can damage many plastics.

CRC makes or made a QD Contact Cleaner that's safe for plastics. It had a blue lable. I've not seen it on the shelves of the parts stores, so I don't know if it's still available. Maybe at an industrial supply like Grainger. QD stands for quick dry.

They also make several other contact cleaners. The next best is one that has Triethane 1-1-1. It's in a red lable can. It should be used sparingly on plastics. Their worse one is chlorinated, so whatever, stay away from that one. Also stay away from any that have keytones or xylene or xylol. Those are often used in brake and carb cleaners. Big time damage to plastics.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock