Looking for realistic estimates on work by svt4me
Started on: 07-14-2018 04:54 PM
Replies: 13 (408 views)
Last post by: svt4me on 07-15-2018 04:53 PM
svt4me

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svt4meSend a Private Message to svt4meEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First I'm looking for a realistic number on how much it would cost to paint a Fiero.
Second, how much to install a convertible top with the chassis reinforcement?
Third, how much to purchase (even if it's piece by piece from different sources) a full interior. Changing from brown to gray?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, Scott
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First - phone a shop in your area for paint estimates.
Second - I have no idea where you will find a new convertible kit.
Third - if you do find one, you'd have to find a shop willing to install it.
(it's not much good to you if the only shop willing to do it is in California)

Usually cheaper to buy a car that's already done. (not mine...)
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cla...hNavigationFlag=true

If you don't like this one - keep looking for one you do like.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-14-2018).]

svt4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svt4meSend a Private Message to svt4meEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierosound, thanks for the input. I'm obviously not going to hold anybody to their word here, just looking for guesstimates. I know members on here have had their cars painted. Just curious on cost. I also realize I may never find the convertible kit I want. But if I do, I'm sure some guys have an idea of what it would cost (some have had T-tops installed). Also just trying to get an idea on cost for swapping interior colors.
I have seen that car for sale in Canada and it is nice, but not what I'm looking for.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Predicting paint job prices is next to impossible. You have a Maaco in St. Charles.....if that is good enough for you ask them....but some people would never settle for that because it does not look good enough. So you end up with a range of $1,200 to $12,000, or something like that, considering paint color and local market issues.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any shop willing to work on Corvettes will likely be delighted to paint a Fiero. Even more so if you do it right and unbolt the panels. This is what I did to find a $2500 estimate in my area from a shop with an eye for detail and a reputation to back it up. In the end, you still get what you pay for, so your wallet is your limiting factor.

I actually wish someone would offer a service to sell pre-painted panels from junkyard/parts cars. You take a risk matching colors, but how neat would it be if a seller in the mall would paint a door skin black professionally, and sell that piece alone? I have high hopes
svt4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svt4meSend a Private Message to svt4meEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for chiming in. Viperine's comment is more what I'm looking for. I get it that it could range from $1K to over $10K, but I was looking for some members who actually had their car painted. And what it cost them.
Still looking for info on changing color of interior and somebody to chime in that has an idea of what it would cost to convert it into a vert (me supplying the materials which I don't have LOL)
svt4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svt4meSend a Private Message to svt4meEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

svt4me

74 posts
Member since Jun 2018
Michael, have you had any paint work done?

Originally posted by tshark:

Paint shops in St. Louis don't want to touch the Fiero. There is one by Vinyl Image, and another down past Festus off I-55.

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the interior another option could be having some parts upholstered. Russ88ttops is an excellent choice for this and he can upholster in any color you choose. Things like center console, hvac/stereo housing, center glove box and guage console, door handles. You can replace the carpets, get the seats recovered (Mr Mike's recommended) Alex Babineau does steering wheels. A and b pillars and door panels you could probably do yourself. Either paint or get a matching material to cover it with. You can paint the dash and do the headliner pretty easily yourself. Then all you'd need to find are seat belts. It might cost a bit more than trading for all stock parts, but you'll end up being able to choose the colors exactly as you want and your interior will look awesome and luxurious. I did about 80% of what you want to do for about $1500.

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 07-15-2018).]

svt4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for svt4meSend a Private Message to svt4meEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Very helpful info with names to boot.

Originally posted by liv4God:

For the interior another option could be having some parts upholstered. Russ88ttops is an excellent choice for this and he can upholster in any color you choose. Things like center console, hvac/stereo housing, center glove box and guage console, door handles. You can replace the carpets, get the seats recovered (Mr Mike's recommended) Alex Babineau does steering wheels. A and b pillars and door panels you could probably do yourself. Either paint or get a matching material to cover it with. You can paint the dash and do the headliner pretty easily yourself. Then all you'd need to find are seat belts. It might cost a bit more than trading for all stock parts, but you'll end up being able to choose the colors exactly as you want and your interior will look awesome and luxurious. I did about 80% of what you want to do for about $1500.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how useful this will be, but I paid $1800 to have my car painted, about ten years ago.
The guy worked on it when he had time, when he wasn't doing insurance jobs.
I took off as much trim as I could - emblems, beltline molding, rockers, fenderwells, mirrors, headlight doors, lower quarters, rear window frames, etc. You get the idea.
Really made for a decent job, with less stuff for him to have to tape.
Left a pile of loose pieces in the passenger side floorboard. "Here. Paint these, too."
I can still find things to "pick apart" about it but, in general, it looks decent. (For that price, he also finished "mudding in" my whaletail.)

Before...

Immediately after. Before I was finished putting everything back together.
PFF
System Bot
svt4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svt4meSend a Private Message to svt4meEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RAYDAR, even if prices have doubled in 10 years, that's $3600. I'm willing to take off as much as I can to save money.

Thanks for the input, Scott
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to keep the costs low, do your own sanding and prep work. For an economical paint job try Maaco but be sure to check their work before you go there. I've seen MAACO jobs that suck and others that look like show quality. Pete Bransky's immaculate 84 was done at a MAACO location and looks better than factory.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

svt4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svt4meSend a Private Message to svt4meEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha. Just curious, why do some people stay away from painting Fieros? Isn't the material the same as almost every late models front and rear bumpers?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock