Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can I use a non a/c alternator on a car that was made with a/c but entire blower gone

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can I use a non a/c alternator on a car that was made with a/c but entire blower gone by DJ Tech12zz
Started on: 07-14-2018 06:26 AM
Replies: 4 (128 views)
Last post by: DJ Tech12zz on 07-14-2018 01:58 PM
DJ Tech12zz
From: Daytona Beach, Florida,USA (born and raised in Brooklyn NYC 40 years

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Tech12zzSend a Private Message to DJ Tech12zzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,
I have an 84 Fiero that I bought a few months back as a get around town car. (It actually had immaculate interior I mean it could pass for a new car on the inside). Well anyway I’ve actually been driving it while Also trying to sell it because money is very tight at the moment with my mother in law recovering in the hospital from emergency brain surgery since 6/7 and my wife has not been working.
Some jerk keeps flagging my Craigslist ad on Daytona Beach Craigslist. So anyway I’m still driving it till I get a buyer and I just put a tin on cash into it. Full tune up plugs,wires,cap, rotor, all fluids and filters changed.
So last night on my way to Florida memorial hospital in ornond beach my car started acting funny you know doing that stuff when you know the alternator bought it and it’s only running off the battery. So after my visit I called Geico for a tow but they insisted on giving me a boost first. So 10 minutes after the guy left the car died again. No power other then very dim lights. So after calling Geico back and while I waited 90 minutes for a flatbed to take my Fiero SE home I was pricing alternators at the 3 auto parts stores that are located across the street from each other.
Now I’ve been trying to sell this car. I’ve been asking for $2000 but would settle for $1750 because there was supposed to be only one previous owner and honestly it ain’t pretty up close but looks great from 5 feet away. And it really needs someone with a timing gun to adjust the distributor ignition timing. Because i don’t have one. So I’m trying to put the least amount of money into this car.
Advance Auto Parts has an exact fit alternator for my car for $55 but the amperage is only 78 amps because is meant for a Fiero without air conditioning. Now my car did come from The factory with air conditioning but the blower motor sssenbly looks like a chunk of it is missing and nothing is connected to it. And the fuse has been removed. This all happened prior to my purchase of it.
So can I get away with this $55 78 amp alternator or will I have to bite the bullet and pay $109 for a 94 amp alternator. I never plan to use the air conditioning unit again for as long as I own this car.

This is an 84 Fiero with the iron Duke in-line 4
4 speed manual transmission
And what I like a lot about this car is all the numbers match and had never been altered.
And omg the interior lol. It’s gorgeous

Please if anyone can post up a definite answer as soon as possible please. So I can get this back on the road.
Have a blessed day
Bill F
Daytona Beach (retired FDNY out of Brooklyn NY)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have no plan to repair the a/c and to sell the car “as is” then just buy the less expensive alternator. If you plan to fix things up and try to extract the max from the sale then put the better alternator in and up your sale price for the cost of repair and a few hundred extra, or whatever you think you can get. The smaller alt. will provide plenty of power to operate the car as it sits now.

Life gets busy, good luck to you with family and your sale.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 07-14-2018).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even the higher amperage alternators had difficulty keeping up with electrical demand in these cars if you were sitting at a stoplight with the headlights on and the blower motor blowing. If you installed a proper 94 amp or larger and the car has working air conditioning, the car will be much easier to sell in Florida, especially this time of the year.
DJ Tech12zz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Tech12zzSend a Private Message to DJ Tech12zzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

If you have no plan to repair the a/c and to sell the car “as is” then just buy the less expensive alternator. If you plan to fix things up and try to extract the max from the sale then put the better alternator in and up your sale price for the cost of repair and a few hundred extra, or whatever you think you can get. The smaller alt. will provide plenty of power to operate the car as it sits now.

Life gets busy, good luck to you with family and your sale.

Thank you so much my friend. A chunk of the actual air box under the hood was missing when I bought the car. Definitely no air conditioning or heat for that manner. But it’s cool. I need to put as little money as I can at the moment. When I bought the car I respected the fact that one owner took excellent care of it and loved it till he passed in his mid 80s. I saw that parked just sitting so I made an offer, it was excepted. I towed it home. Replaced the fuel pump, had the fuel tank cleaned, replaced the injector, blew this air/seafoam mixture I do through the fuel lines, new filters and fluids all around, complesston and leakdown all nownal so I did a tune up. And so far so good. But I respect how amazing nice he kept his interior. I wish there was a way to show you guys this amazing interior. I own a 87 Buick WE4 turbo regal Grabd National completely blackout model (that I had since new. My mom actually lent me the cash to buy it on my birthday In February of 1987 it was my very first car. despite growing up in nyc with the snow and salt I managed to take decent care of my WE4 even to this day I only take it out on weekends and special occasions and my WE4 interior doesn’t even come close to the interior that this Fiero has. All I need to make this car perfect Is to borrow a timing light gun. And figure out the correct way to adjust my TPS and IAC. And will need new tires in the near future. I was actually going to list it on here (I’m an honest retired nyc firefighter just trying to hang on to the my house and 2 cars) my wife’s car (the family car) ,and definitely my 87 Buick WE4 Grand National (because my mom was the only person who would help me buy that car and on 6/4/97 she passed unexpectedly at age 56 from a heart attack. Growing up I was a very disrespectful and abusive adolescent) I already sold my 2014 GSXR 1000 and my 2014 BMW S1000rr Motorcycles which I took a beating on both of those deals I definitely took the Loss. But I will live in my WE4 before I ever sell that. Omg I’m sorry. I’m so stressed that I’m getting off topic. My wife refuses to go back to work to a very good job as a public fixed route bus operator for Volusia county (she’s on FMLA emergency so she won’t loose her job but no money is coming in the house). Honestly how am I supposed to pay all these bills with just my pension income? I apologize again this $hit is all that’s been on my mind. And the hospital where she was transferred to to recover and rehabilitation is 21 miles away from our house. And to add insult to injury my 26 year old brother in law is mentally challenged snd autistic and will only trust my wife and mother in law. So every night my wife has to stay over there with him because he can’t be left alone I was called an “insensitive prick” when I suggested to temporarily place him in a home for the mentally challenged where they take field trips, play games, they even put some of these patients to work making things and actually pay them but the mere thought of bringing that idea to the table is an instant fight with my wife. So that’s why I need to get some money for the Fiero plus I’ve been selling a lot of my DJ equipment from when I had a side business in the 90s abs 2000s. But seriously guys and ladies I’m sorry to Jump topic. I’ve been bottled up with absolutely nobody to vent my frustrations too. I don’t know anyone down here. Anyway back to the car.

If I decide to list it here I would literally disclose everything I know about the car. and would disclose everything wrong with it. Including using a 78 amp alternator. But I’m sure nobody’s looking to make a trip to Daytona for a car lol.

Anyway thank you guys for your help. And thanks for reading. My stressful situation.

[This message has been edited by DJ Tech12zz (edited 07-14-2018).]

DJ Tech12zz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Tech12zzSend a Private Message to DJ Tech12zzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DJ Tech12zz

4 posts
Member since Jun 2018

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Even the higher amperage alternators had difficulty keeping up with electrical demand in these cars if you were sitting at a stoplight with the headlights on and the blower motor blowing. If you installed a proper 94 amp or larger and the car has working air conditioning, the car will be much easier to sell in Florida, especially this time of the year.

Unfortunately the Air conditioning/heat/defogger will never be fixed during my ownership of the car because an actual chunk of the air box is missing. It almost looks like someone broke it to get access to the heater core. I don’t know. It definitely doesn’t sound like something the previous owner would have done. But to answer your question it will never have air conditioning while I own it. And I’m only looking to see $1650-$1750 out of it. Which is the cheapest drivable Fiero listed in all 3 market here
Orlando
Daytona Beach
Jacksonville
Which is probably why my ad gets flagged 10 minutes after I post it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock