Which wire is the + and which is the - by longjonsilver
Started on: 07-12-2018 02:41 PM
Replies: 15 (281 views)
Last post by: Lambo nut on 07-14-2018 12:28 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which wire is the + and which one is the - ? The one with the stripe or the one without?

jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's aftermarket speaker wiring, go back a bit further to the colored wires.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002
Here are the original colors and new stereo wiring color equivalents

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-085258.html tells me the color of the Fiero wires in my car - and i have the schematic as well if my 84 is wired differently than others (it usually is). But my question is which wires are the + and the - of the aftermarket speaker? So i can wire it up.

jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How to check speaker polarity:

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks RWDPLZ that video explains it well. i finished wiring up my rally gages and installing my oil pressure sender off an 86 GT. Works really good now, so i went ahead and pulled the radio out of my S10 and put it into my Fiero. Now i have a good radio in my Fiero and the right speaker just buzzes, probably because of just wrapping my wires together with electrical tape. i've gotten better with soldering so now i'm gonna solder them and use shrink tubing, so hopefully that will fix the problem. Now for a really dumb question, i assume that i wire the + of the speaker to the + of the car wiring. No?

thanks again
jon

------------------

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All aftermarket speakers I've ever used had a large and a small terminal. The larger one was the positive and the smaller one was the negative.

These harnesses make it plug and play if you haven't cut your factory wiring harness plugs.

https://www.crutchfield.com...rnesses.html?tp=3097
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checking the actual polarity is safer than assuming the Chinese factory's quality department got it right
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep! I probably got lucky. That makes twice in my lifetime.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a little late to the party, but the stripe generally goes on the ground (-) wire. Plus, as mentioned above, the smaller terminal on the speaker is usually the ground.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-13-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as all the speakers are wired the same, they will be in phase and polarity won't matter.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^ That is also true.

Speakers are not polarity sensitive, i.e. you don't have to hook up the positive wire to the (+) terminal. However, they do need to be all hooked up the same way. If some are hooked up backward from the others, it will ruin the sound quality.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-13-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if all speakers are wired in phase, but backwards, sound quality will suffer if the speaker uses some type of crossover circuit.
RudyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RudyGTSend a Private Message to RudyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what i did was just put a multimeter on it at the OEM connector since those colors are documented, then i checked continuity
to sort out which was what. now my speakers weren't labeled positive or negative just a bigger tab and a smaller tab..
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Even if all speakers are wired in phase, but backwards, sound quality will suffer if the speaker uses some type of crossover circuit.

All the crossovers I've used and seen are passive and use non polarized components so it still wouldn't matter. The signal going to the speakers are A/C so polarity won't matter as long as all the speaker components and crossovers are wired in phase the same way.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock