Trunk release, dome lights and courtesy lights problems by LaneMallula
Started on: 07-10-2018 02:53 PM
Replies: 12 (236 views)
Last post by: LaneMallula on 07-16-2018 10:38 PM
LaneMallula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaneMallulaSend a Private Message to LaneMallulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey yall, I recently swapped my battery to the front of the car, 88 GT auto, and it has caused a whole slue of problems. my dome lights don't work anymore, they will not turn on ever, my courtesy lights are the opposite and never turn off and to finish it off my trunk release no longer works. Some stuff you might want to know is that they all worked right before the swap, my ajar light has been on since I bought the car (when running) but would sometimes turn off when I hit a bump, and my trunk light used to work by giving the trunk a good hit but doesn't seem to anymore. I spent hours on here but cant find anything so this is my last resort, I re did every ground I could find and added more but it helped nothing, I've already checked the fuses in the box too. Any help? solve it 1 by 1 if you want I just want it fixed, thanks in advanced guys (and ladies)!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LaneMallula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaneMallulaSend a Private Message to LaneMallulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also the voltage gauge is pinned when the car runs, reads right when its not running, but I checked the battery and not running is bout 12.3v and running 14v so it seems to just be the gauge.
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have checked already...

Check the "batt" fuse. If it blows, the courtesy lights will stay on.
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JMTUT

371 posts
Member since Oct 2017
You may have checked already...

Check the "batt" fuse. If it blows, the courtesy lights will stay on.
LaneMallula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaneMallulaSend a Private Message to LaneMallulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, sadly all my fuses are good to go so it's something more. I've looked for a wiring diagram but can't find one for interior.
Thanks for the help though!
Harold James Kie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar problem briefly when I removed the trunk latching mechanism and it cleared when I replaced it. Look for a broken/loose wire in the trunk circuit. Especially look at the grounding strap and wire. Good luck. Maybe you could contact Mary Bara as she was the electrical engineer that oversaw the wiring for the Fiero . (Just kidding!)
RudyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RudyGTSend a Private Message to RudyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what happens if you put the battery back in the tray and hook things back up?
did you drill or cut anything?
i read there was 2 fuse banks, one in the engine compartment.
just going from a simple signal flow of things, if stuff worked before, then undo what you did
and step by step repeat until it goes bad again. sounds like something got buggered instead of just adding
length on existing cables
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LaneMallula:

I recently swapped my battery to the front of the car, 88 GT auto, and it has caused a whole slue of problems.

Ground issues? Did you run the negative cable from the battery back to the engine?

JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope this helps

LaneMallula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaneMallulaSend a Private Message to LaneMallulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help! I'll check up on the trunk latch and no I didn't run a ground from battery to engine, when I moved it up front I grounded the battery to the frame and then added separate grounds to ground the engine to the frame. Could that be the issue because it made sense to me when I did it but I'm not electrically inclined haha
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LaneMallula:

no I didn't run a ground from battery to engine, when I moved it up front I grounded the battery to the frame and then added separate grounds to ground the engine to the frame. Could that be the issue...?

Bad grounds can cause all sorts of weird issues. When the battery is in its original location, it grounds to the engine, not to the frame. Relocating the battery up front for better weight distribution doesn't change what the battery should be grounded to. Yes, I know... somebody will come along and say they relocated their battery up front and grounded it to the frame and everything is peachy keen... but IMO it's not the proper way to do it, and it can lead to problems.
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Patrick, the battery should connect to the car the same way it was originally.I ran positive and negative #2 awg welding cable from the front battery back to the original battery conections. I also added a frame ground in the front while I was at it.
LaneMallula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaneMallulaSend a Private Message to LaneMallulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great I'll get the grounds back to normal and let you know!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock