F23 axle removal - I am stumped by Madess
Started on: 07-04-2018 10:34 PM
Replies: 5 (234 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 07-18-2018 04:41 PM
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2018 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 3800sc with a F23, but the axles are leaking and I need to fix them. I have tried and tried to pop the axles out of the transmission with no luck. I am missing something? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2018 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just use a big straight blade screwdriver but a pry bar of any kind will work as long as you can get some leverage. It takes a big push, it will seem like you are putting a lot of force against it but you are compressing a ring lock and once you get the force needed the axle will pop right out. There is no trick to it, just brute force.
OH10fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2018 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The most important trick is to keep a slight constant pull on the axle and make sure you do not pull with any angle at all when using a pry bar (method I always use). There is a snap ring that expands that helps keep the axle from coming out and if the axle is at any angle other than perfect it increases the difficulty on removing them.
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the passenger side came out easily, but the driver's side...

I have used every pry bar I have, and bought a set of axle pullers, (pretty nice) they worked excellently on the passenger side.

The driver's side axle is a Fiero axle into an F23, could that be the issue? Any other suggestions?
Jay-ID

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-IDSend a Private Message to Jay-IDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've tried an axle puller and two pry bars with no luck. What worked for me was a big end wrench (28mm+ or 1 1/4"). The two "teeth" of the wrench fit around the axle between the transmission and the tri-pot, allowing you to apply even pressure to both sides. It can scar your tri-pot a bit. Good luck!
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jay-ID:

I've tried an axle puller and two pry bars with no luck. What worked for me was a big end wrench (28mm+ or 1 1/4"). The two "teeth" of the wrench fit around the axle between the transmission and the tri-pot, allowing you to apply even pressure to both sides. It can scar your tri-pot a bit. Good luck!

I have used this method as well when a pry bar doesn't work. A gigantic wrench or fork and a quick rap from a hammer works really well if you have the space. I used a damaged pickle fork - clamped it into a vise, heated it up real good, and then hammered a jack roller into the mouth to widen the tines.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 07-18-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock