Another Subwoofer Thread by Notorio
Started on: 07-03-2018 05:24 PM
Replies: 6 (533 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 07-19-2018 10:28 AM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've just started upgrading my 88 GT's sound system and installed the Pontiac CD/Radio with 7-band EQ often used, including the aftermarket wiring adapter (and splicing the Blue & Red wires per several excellent threads.) I was happy to find that the 4 main speakers were already upgraded and the CD sounds great!

The code label indicates a stock sound system (UM6) rather than the premium (UQ6), however the premium courtesy unit w/slider is installed. There is no subwoofer enclosure but in digging behind the radio I discovered what appear to be the amplifier connector and subwoofer speaker wire (see below).

If that is correct then I believe a previous owner started installing the premium system and already has done the wiring harness. That would lead me to conclude that I have to buy:

1-Subwoofer enclosure
2-Subwoofer replacement speaker (Rodney)
3-Amplifier

Is there anything else I have missed? Once I am sure what I need I'll make a WTB post in The Mall.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds about right. See diagrams here:
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...orum=2&thread=139561

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back from a trip and can now work on this install again, all parts are in hand. Well, except I noticed I have the Light Blue/Black trace and Dark Blue/White trace wire but not the pigtail going into the sub unit itself. Posted below is another member's wiring diagram showing the speakers as 'A' which is '-' and 'B' which is '+' hence, the positive terminal of Rodney's new subwoofer goes to the Dark Blue/White wire (i.e. B). Reposting the diagram here in case someone else needs to find it.

GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

I've just started upgrading my 88 GT's sound system and installed the Pontiac CD/Radio with 7-band EQ often used, including the aftermarket wiring adapter (and splicing the Blue & Red wires per several excellent threads.) I was happy to find that the 4 main speakers were already upgraded and the CD sounds great!

The code label indicates a stock sound system (UM6) rather than the premium (UQ6), however the premium courtesy unit w/slider is installed. There is no subwoofer enclosure but in digging behind the radio I discovered what appear to be the amplifier connector and subwoofer speaker wire (see below).

If that is correct then I believe a previous owner started installing the premium system and already has done the wiring harness. That would lead me to conclude that I have to buy:

1-Subwoofer enclosure
2-Subwoofer replacement speaker (Rodney)
3-Amplifier

Is there anything else I have missed? Once I am sure what I need I'll make a WTB post in The Mall.

I've got number 1 and 2 sitting around. Perhaps even number 3. Might be a bit much to ship, but PM me and we can work something out. Just collecting dust here..
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for checking GodSend but I just finished the job and am loving the results!

On a general note for the installation, various posts recommended confirming speaker polarity with a low-voltage battery, which I did with an old C cell reading about 1 volt. Good thing too, I found the front-left speaker had the polarity reversed.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

Thank you for checking GodSend but I just finished the job and am loving the results!

On a general note for the installation, various posts recommended confirming speaker polarity with a low-voltage battery, which I did with an old C cell reading about 1 volt. Good thing too, I found the front-left speaker had the polarity reversed.

How is this accomplished with the battery?
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hooked up the leads I borrowed from my multi-meter which have an alligator clip on one end --these were connected to the terminals on the speaker. Then very briefly I touched the battery connections and watched the movement of the speaker cone. If the cone moved 'outward' that indicated the + on the battery was connected to the + on the battery. The speaker from Rodney was already labeled with the polarity so I just confirmed that. The existing Pioneer speakers did not so I checked those and then labeled them for future owners. The pioneers had different sized connections for the + and - so once you confirm the polarity you can't hook them up wrong at some future time (I like that system.)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock