Auto to manual steering column by 06GTO
Started on: 07-02-2018 09:21 PM
Replies: 9 (363 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 10-15-2019 12:32 PM
06GTO

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those that have done the auto to manual swap (or swapped columns), what do you do with the shift interlock cable that goes from the column to the (old, now removed) auto shifter?

Can I just tuck it out of the way (or cut it), or does it need to be removed from the column?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that just tucking it away can cause issues (lock the column while driving) but can't find it again, so not sure if I'm mis-rembering.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I removed mine. Wasn't too hard. Seems like I did remove the column, however.
it's just a cable with a ball end on it, if I remember correctly. Once it's gone, you don't have to worry about it any more.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two very small Phillips head screws hold the cable to the ignition switch.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and a little bracket holds shifter end. squeeze ears and push forward to clear the it I think. Been years since mess w/ it.
Put in all pasts in a plastic bag to give/sell them.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

06GTO

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2018 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help! I guess I didn't see those two small phillips screws and figured the column needed to come apart. Two small screws and away it went.

Again, thanks!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2018 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspect those two little tiny screws are the smallest pieces in the car!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I may ask another question. Just did the opposite-a manual to auto swap. Didn't see any cable that was used to lock the steering column on the stick shifter. The lock on the manual column appears to be a lever below the ignition switch that is activated manually.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did the auto to manual swap in my Fiero, I kept the steering column and just removed the interlock cable. I did that because I'm lazy. I didn't feel like swapping steering columns. And I didn't want to fiddle with a lever every time I turn the key.

I imagine the reverse would be true for the manual to auto swap. The auto gear shifter doesn't need the interlock cable. The cable is there to disable the keyswitch, if the transmission isn't in Park. So if you're OK with that little lever by the keyswitch, you don't need to swap steering columns.
SecretMoparGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2019 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SecretMoparGuySend a Private Message to SecretMoparGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 06GTO:

For those that have done the auto to manual swap (or swapped columns), what do you do with the shift interlock cable that goes from the column to the (old, now removed) auto shifter?

Can I just tuck it out of the way (or cut it), or does it need to be removed from the column?
I thought I remember reading somewhere that just tucking it away can cause issues (lock the column while driving) but can't find it again, so not sure if I'm mis-rembering.

Thanks!

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead. What is the difference between manual and auto column? What is the reason/advantage for seapping the column?

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2019 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Manual column: Has a small lever next to the ignition switch that must be operated in order to remove the key.

Automatic column: Has a cable interlock that won't allow key removal without the transmission being in "Park".

When swapping transmission types, it's up to you to decide which safety features you wish to retain.
I think the Park interlock for the automatic would be mandatory for any sort of safety inspection.

I've driven manual transmission cars that had no lever, so I don't know how mandatory that is.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock