Knock Retard-KR by fierofinder
Started on: 06-19-2018 10:39 PM
Replies: 11 (303 views)
Last post by: fierofinder on 07-15-2018 02:32 PM
fierofinder

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was wanting some feed back on my KR problem. 3.4 with 7730 and DIS. Lots of other add-ons. Trying to get it tuned but need to resolve this. First off there is no KR under load. In neutral or with clutch in I get KR if I snap the throttle quickly. I can rev the engine up to the same rpms and get no KR if I do it slowly. To me it seems something isn't responding quick enough to the quick rev whether it be the ecm, iac, valve float. I don't know. I have looked over everything externally really well for exhaust or other things hitting on something else. Any info helps thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Momentary KR's should not be a problem. Steady KR's over an extended RPM range during hard acceleration can be. If there are no KR's under load then I would not worry about it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofinder:
Was wanting some feed back on my KR problem. 3.4 with 7730 and DIS. Lots of other add-ons. Trying to get it tuned but need to resolve this. First off there is no KR under load. In neutral or with clutch in I get KR if I snap the throttle quickly. I can rev the engine up to the same rpms and get no KR if I do it slowly. To me it seems something isn't responding quick enough to the quick rev whether it be the ecm, iac, valve float. I don't know. I have looked over everything externally really well for exhaust or other things hitting on something else. Any info helps thank you.

Did you block off the EGR? If not, did you NOT upgrade your injectors? Sounds like you might be running a bit lean at tip-in...
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EGR is blocked off. Injectors are 17#. If it's leaning out I'm thinking that the tune could fix that or possibly I need to invest in an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
The other thing is I'm not hearing any knock. Just showing up on the scan
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EGR is blocked off. Injectors are 17#. If it's leaning out I'm thinking that the tune could fix that or possibly I need to invest in an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Yes, my 3.4 does that as well and I'm using the 17# Camaro injectors. I have yet to edit out EGR in the ECM (stock). You need to do the same for the 7730. A motor can run fine without EGR once you disable it in the programming.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check that out. Sure be nice if it is something that easy to fix. Thank You.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll check that out. Sure be nice if it is something that easy to fix. Thank You.

My 7730 program (on my other 3.4) has it edited out and run much better on tip-in...but I also have KR edited out as well... Ryan @ SinisterPerformance did that editing...
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan mentioned to me that he could do that but we were trying to figure out what was causing the knock to be safe. I'll have him do the same for me so I can move on with getting it tuned.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2018 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ryan mentioned to me that he could do that but we were trying to figure out what was causing the knock to be safe. I'll have him do the same for me so I can move on with getting it tuned.

Let me save you months of internet guess work...
Newsfash: it's the lack of EGR. Just have him do it. Also, if you switched to DIS, you need to increase the gap on your plugs to .060 unless you increase your compression ratio with DOHC pistons then you want it around 0.055 or slightly less.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 06-21-2018).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2018 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure an adjustable fuel pressure regulator alone will solve the lean issue. The O2 sensor will still be sending a signal to the ECM based upon what it reads in the exhaust. If you raise the fuel pressure you just might see the ECM decrease the pulse width to the injectors leaving you back where you started. BTW, knock at higher speeds is not always easy to hear. The scanner tells the story.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2018 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still waiting to hear back from Ryan. Haven't been in contact with him since October when the rain started. When he has time I'll have him do I new tune and disable the EGR. While I wait I'll check that spark gap, thats new info to me. Once I get that new tune I'll let you all know how it turned out. Thank You.
PFF
System Bot
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still no word from Ryan. I did find out how to delete EGR and I found that it had already been done. I have changed the spark gap as well. Ryan had mentioned advancing knock recovery rate so that timing advance would return to normal faster, going to look into that. planning on starting a post on gearheads as well so I can learn to navigate the tuner pro better.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock