Started on: 06-13-2018 01:49 PM
Replies: 17 (487 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 06-20-2018 11:11 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I am looking for suggestions on Turbo Locations, I already have an idea where I want to put it, but would like to see some other peoples choices and Pro's / Con's. So if you have a Turbo Fiero especially if you have an LS1, LS2 or LS3, or even an LS4 Turbo car, I would love to see how you set yours up. So far I have only been able to find one other LS Turbo Fiero out there and he mounted his where the trunk would normally be. The only SBC Turbo Fiero I have seen in person had his mounted in the trunk space as well. This car is going to be a daily driver as well as a track car, so I want it to be able to haul groceries when it's not hauling A$$. I'm even going to have a trailer hitch on the car. I do have an intercooler which will be mounted in the driver side wheel well, ducted air coming from a Mecham side scoop. I've got a Cowl hood and Cowl decklid to help evacuate hot air.

So if you have a Turbo Fiero, please post up any pictures you care to share. I'd love to see options. Oh just as a side note, I do plan to move to an Air / Water intercooler eventually, but for now, with the moderate boost levels of 10-14psi I should be safe with the Air / Air Intercooler. I am also considering a Water / Meth injection system if I go above 15psi of boost.

Here is a pic of the test fit of the motor after all the frame mods were done, and making sure the modified cradle was going to fit. The engine is a 6L with a Standalone system, 80# injectors base tune is from Matt Happell of Sloppy Mechanics.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT , 5spd Custom Exhaust. MS3 Gold Box 6.0 LS Turbo.

Price Drop!!! Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front. For Sale $3750 USD

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What transmission are you planning on using?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to run a front-wheel drive getrag transaxle until it explodes then upgrade to an F 40 6 speed.
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And after the F40 explodes?

I am on the fence if I want to convert my 3800SC to a turbo, swap an LS in and turbo it, or move to another car in the future. The biggest issue I am concerned with is the transmission.

I would like to see how an F40 holds up. Do you plan on drag racing it (that's primarily what I do with mine).

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I'm going to run a front-wheel drive getrag transaxle until it explodes then upgrade to an F 40 6 speed.

It may be a good test. I'm curious what level of torque will do a Fiero getrag in.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on a stick-shift turbo V6 project (stock-style exhaust and intake manifolds), and I will put the turbo above the gearbox, near the factory ignition coil location.

The compressor inlet is facing the stock air filter canister, and the exhaust is facing the rear for a fairly direct exit. No trunk shall be harmed with this process.

This kind of orientation would also work with your intercooler in the left side scoop area.

I'm game to try water injection only.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I'm working on a stick-shift turbo V6 project (stock-style exhaust and intake manifolds), and I will put the turbo above the gearbox, near the factory ignition coil location.

The compressor inlet is facing the stock air filter canister, and the exhaust is facing the rear for a fairly direct exit. No trunk shall be harmed with this process.

This kind of orientation would also work with your intercooler in the left side scoop area.

I'm game to try water injection only.

Sounds similar to what I want to setup mine like.

There is a guy on Youtube Garageless that is running a Turbo 3400 with an Air to Water intercooler, I was skeptical with how small it was in a sorta bullet shape, but he seems to be having great luck with it.

https://youtu.be/9a7S1mOqco0
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2018 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have pictured in my head two turbos residing in or above either grate area. Battery box and air cleaner land. One exhaust running left and the other running right. Get fancy with the plumbing and it could be run out in a dual to single exhaust stock style to the muffler.

tampalinc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will it fit behind the driver so it can pull cool air from the side vent, then A2W intercooler underneath it?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am planning to mount mine out of sight and under/in front of the stock truck area. There will be room for an A2W intercooler between the outlet of the turbo and the inlet of the intake.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tampalinc:

Will it fit behind the driver so it can pull cool air from the side vent, then A2W intercooler underneath it?

I could probably have it over there, but running exhaust piping over into that area would make it less than practical. Unless you are saying to put it up high like where the airbox would normally sit? I am planning on having it behind the driver above the transaxle. FieroGurus idea has also been in the back of my mind though.

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I am planning to mount mine out of sight and under/in front of the stock truck area. There will be room for an A2W intercooler between the outlet of the turbo and the inlet of the intake.

That is the other option and I am really considering it too. The 2 reasons I am concerned with that location, is the trunk side exhaust is going to need to make a sharp 180, regardless of where your manifold points, and you will need to add some sort of scavenger pump to the oil return system coming off of the turbo as there won't be sufficient drain with the turbo that low. I really like the intercooler you have chosen looks really good.

Thanks for the pics and I love how you used that piece of pipe to simulate the trunk wall, that is an awesome idea.

------------------

Price Drop!!! Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front. For Sale $3750 USD

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone should make a hot v kit for LS motors. That'd be dope.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2018 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My turbo is located near the rear firewall on the driver's side of the car. However, this is on a stock 3.4 push rod engine and the block size difference may not make this spot feasible for your use.

Nelson
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

My turbo is located near the rear firewall on the driver's side of the car. However, this is on a stock 3.4 push rod engine and the block size difference may not make this spot feasible for your use.

Nelson

I had that setup, but I mounted my turbo in such a way as to be able to draw air from the stock intake.

That open end air filter is just grabbing all that exhaust heat.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Nelson

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I had that setup, but I mounted my turbo in such a way as to be able to draw air from the stock intake.

Even though my engine is bigger, the trans still sits in roughly the same spot, so I'll have the same amount of room above the trans. My only issue is my Turbo is much larger than yours. My idea is to have the turbo's Cold Side intake, pointing towards the stock Fiero airbox, and the hotside outlet pointing in roughly the direction of the firewall where it will take an immediate turn down. I want to use V-Bands on everything to make it easier to adjust things as I go.

Thanks for all the pics guys.

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can always think outside the box. I have a friend who has a 6.1 Chrysler 300. He put dual turbos just inside the rear bumper and plumbed them to the front engine with exhaust exits in front of the back tires at the sides. At the back theyre way out of any external heat .

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-20-2018).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

This is not the current set up wrt the air intake on this car. I just grabbed this photo to show the approximate turbo location. If you can imagine removing the air filter and running the air intake to the now functional passenger side scoop, you will have the current configuration. It looks a little different but it is much better than sucking hot air into the intake. I can take a photo if you want to ee the current air intake design.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock