Rotten subwoofer speaker Tip !! by Blmkso
Started on: 04-26-2018 10:40 AM
Replies: 10 (489 views)
Last post by: Rexgirl on 10-08-2019 03:26 PM
Blmkso

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2018 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlmksoSend a Private Message to BlmksoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick tip if the foam ring on your subwoofer speaker has rotted away . Check out newfoam.com . It cost me $11.00 with shipping and has great instructions on how to glue the new foam ring. Comes with glue and applicator. Very easy fix and the speaker sounds fantastic.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done the same thing to many factory subwoofer speakers with very good results too (I use a different company for the foam, but similarly priced).
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2019 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yah know, you guys are a wealth of information! I was doing a search of the subwoofer and up pops this thread. Sure enough the foam has disappeared on my sub. I figured out how to disassemble the speaker and I have ordered a foam repair kit. Can't wait to have a descent sub back. BTW...I ordered it off of Amazon for $5.00

Thanks again guys!
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2019 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here’s another tip ... if they send you the “white” glue to attach the foam... what ever you have left, thin it with a little water
And use an acid brush and coat the foam. It’s ok if you get a little on the cone . It will give better life, smoother response and help support the cone / spider joint as they tend to sag due to age.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2019 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SamanthaM:

Yah know, you guys are a wealth of information! I was doing a search of the subwoofer and up pops this thread. Sure enough the foam has disappeared on my sub. I figured out how to disassemble the speaker and I have ordered a foam repair kit. Can't wait to have a descent sub back. BTW...I ordered it off of Amazon for $5.00

Thanks again guys!

Nice! It's an easy fix and as long as the speaker itself isn't bad installing new foam will give you years of listening enjoyment. I re-foamed my first one 5 or 6 years ago and it's still going strong in my GT.

Originally posted by PhatMax:

Here’s another tip ... if they send you the “white” glue to attach the foam... what ever you have left, thin it with a little water
And use an acid brush and coat the foam. It’s ok if you get a little on the cone . It will give better life, smoother response and help support the cone / spider joint as they tend to sag due to age.

Thanks for the tip!
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2019 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhatMax:

Thank you! Great tip since I already have the sub out.
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2019 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have one more question about the sub since I have it out anyways..... the assembly is just plastic, would it make any difference in the sound if put some baffling in the plastic box? Was just curious. I know I added baffles to my front speakers and it did make quite a difference in the richness of the sound?
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2019 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In it's factory configuration, the plastic box is designed to add a little more low bass to the speaker. Adding Dacron or other dampening fill will reduce the output of the subwoofer a little but that can be adjusted with the volume control. It may also make the bass a little clearer, but any changes will be subtle.
You could add some filler material into the end of the bass tube after it's installed to see if you like the change.
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2019 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rexgirl:

You could add some filler material into the end of the bass tube after it's installed to see if you like the change.

I will try that on just the tube. Thank you!
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to let anyone know who is repairing their sub speaker. The replacement part to fix the foam worked well and was very easy to do. I ordered a kit that had two pieces and they sent me four so I have three extra pieces and it only cost me a total of $5.

I also tried it with a bit of baffling and did not care for the sound so I took out the baffling and put it back together factory and it sounds fantastic! It doesn't matter if I am playing Metallica, AC DC or 38 Special, the sound quality and tones are very good. Adjusting the slider a bit with the different music makes a huge difference.

I have a JVC radio, Rockford rounds with baffling in the pillars, RetroSounds with baffling in the front, and a repaired factory sub. It really sounds great cruising down the road.
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installing baffling behind your speakers is a great idea in any dry location. Dacron in the tuned subwoofer tube often doesn't improve the sound and now we know that is true in the Fiero thanks to your experience. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock