Power from coil to install shift light? by SP1200
Started on: 04-17-2018 11:11 AM
Replies: 13 (198 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 04-20-2018 04:34 PM
SP1200

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I ordered a shift light for my 86 stock V6. It's basically just a big red light that comes on when you get close to readline. It's something I need because when I get excited I tend to go in to the red.

Anyway, it shows that it needs a connection to one of the power wires form the coil. I guess this is how it knows what RPM's your at. Does anyone know what wire that is inside the cab? I'm pretty sure the power for the coil at the fuse box is just a constant 12 volt, and not the wire the shift light needs.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your 86 already has a shift light in the instrument cluster.
Is the bulb burned out?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shift light doesn't need power from the coil. It needs power from a 12V ignition source. It also needs a tach signal, so it can monitor engine RPM.

Also note that the Fiero already has a shift light. However, the ECM controls when it comes on. It can come on at different RPM, depending on how hard you're accelerating. Most aftermarket shift lights don't do that. You just set it for a certain RPM, and that's when it comes on. So don't be surprised when your aftermarket shift light and the stock shift light don't match.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Also note that the Fiero already has a shift light. However, the ECM controls when it comes on. It can come on at different RPM, depending on how hard you're accelerating.

Exactly. The factory shift light is for best "economy" driving... hardly what the OP appears to be after.

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Exactly. The factory shift light is for best "economy" driving... hardly what the OP appears to be after.

lol. Exactly. I removed that bulb when I got the car when I was 16. I'm 40 now.
I was never after economy driving.

Anyone ever watch 5 minutes of The Fast and The Furious movies?
Thats the kind of shift light I'm looking for.
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SP1200

169 posts
Member since May 2016

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The shift light doesn't need power from the coil. It needs power from a 12V ignition source. It also needs a tach signal, so it can monitor engine RPM.

Anyway to get that Tach signal from inside the car?

BTW. The shift light has an adjustable setting on the back. You set it to the RPMs you want a light to come on at, and you don't have to worry about blowing a rod in redline.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WMBV3D8

[This message has been edited by SP1200 (edited 04-17-2018).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The factory shift light is intended to optimize fuel economy, but it will hold back til redline if you're gunning it.

This meme says it all

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SP1200:

lol. Exactly. I removed that bulb when I got the car when I was 16. I'm 40 now.

Heh heh... ya, I hated that stupid thing as well. Pulled the bulb first chance I got. I kept thinking that the damn Check Engine Light was coming on... plus I don't like being told when or what to do.
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SP1200

169 posts
Member since May 2016

Originally posted by Patrick:

Heh heh... ya, I hated that stupid thing as well. Pulled the bulb first chance I got. I kept thinking that the damn Check Engine Light was coming on... plus I don't like being told when or what to do.

lol yeah that stupid arrow would come on anytime you went over 2.5k RPM.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok SP1200, SF is 11sq miles...How have I never seen your car!? lol
PFF
System Bot
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2018 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

Ok SP1200, SF is 11sq miles...How have I never seen your car!? lol

Ohh I would never dare drive my plastic car in the city!
My work truck gets enough broken windows, dents, dings, and outright side swipes alone! lol.

And I'm up in north bay. Just working in the city now.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2018 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't like bringing mine into the city either, she has enough squeaks and rattles. I'm just south of SF.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2018 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SP1200: Anyway to get that Tach signal from inside the car?

The obvious answer would be the tachometer. According to the service manual, it's a white wire on pin #18 of connector #3. I don't remember which one is connector #3 (the gauge cluster has 3 electrical connectors). But the pin numbers are stamped onto the connectors. So just look for one with a white wire on pin #18.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock