Busted spoiler stand! by Madathlon
Started on: 04-17-2018 09:01 AM
Replies: 17 (285 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 04-18-2018 10:03 AM
Madathlon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well yesterday I went to open the trunk and found the left stand completely broken away from the wing. Been searching for a replacement but no luck so far.
So I have a idea but no clue if it's been tried. Has anyone tried to used body panel glue? (Can't remember the proper name) the stuff that is used today to join to gather frames and major panels.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Madathlon:
Well yesterday I went to open the trunk and found the left stand completely broken away from the wing. Been searching for a replacement but no luck so far.

Broken away ? Wind stands are replaceable. There are even "stealth" ones available which lower the wing. Some Fieros had the wing delete option. I like that look but like the wing better.

Newguy7142

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Newguy7142Send a Private Message to Newguy7142Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I have a stealth wing on my 86. I love the look of it
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck finding any though. Wing stands seem to be a short commodity, especially the stealth ones.
Madathlon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes broken. The wing came off of the right stand at the top of the stand. The screw pulled right out of the stand. Finding any would be prefored but I may have to fix what I have
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anyone know of a delete option for those who previously had the wing?
Like a dew drop type of stand, that will plug/cover the factory holes?

I took my wing off after seeing dummy after dummy lean on my car at the coffee shop...and got tired of telling them they were leaning on the wing, and slotting out the holes on the fiberglass decklid..

Madathlon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I spoke of glue this is what I was talking about

https://www.grainger.com/pr...HQd:20180417153434:s

Its made to join frame, body panels together and makes a stronger bond then weld does at times. It wasn't around when the Fiero where built but I bet if it was it would have been used.

Madathlon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Madathlon

71 posts
Member since Mar 2018
Since you removed your wing, would you be interested in selling it?

Originally posted by SP1200:

Anyone know of a delete option for those who previously had the wing?
Like a dew drop type of stand, that will plug/cover the factory holes?

I took my wing off after seeing dummy after dummy lean on my car at the coffee shop...and got tired of telling them they were leaning on the wing, and slotting out the holes on the fiberglass decklid..

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are epoxies and glues as mentioned that can repair your issue.
Madathlon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had thought so, but what would you suggest. If I can fix it Id do it in a heart beat.

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

There are epoxies and glues as mentioned that can repair your issue.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Madathlon:

I had thought so, but what would you suggest. If I can fix it Id do it in a heart beat.

I epoxied nutserts into my wing. Any quality 2 part epoxy works. The old ones were a bit worn, and when I did the stealth wing stands on my GT I went to The Fastener Store and bought new nutserts and bolts. It was a very easy job taking the old ones out, resin and install new, then wait to set. The waiting a day was the biggest killer.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the stand came loose from the bottom of the wing and neither is broken, you can probably just install a new Well-Nut into the wing. Autobody paint and body supply stores usually carry a good selection of AuVeCo well-nuts. Ace Hardware stores usually have various sizes, too. Fastenal is another source.

You might also check with Tha Driver (Paul) or The Fiero Farm (Todd). One of them should have the stand you need.
Madathlon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sadly the stand is bad, I went over it carefully a short time ago and it cracked to hell. Age just got to it. So either I find a new stand or.. Go wingless. for now I put some carriage bolts with rubber washer in the hole to keep water out. Will have to look over options. Maybe a aftermarket wing with taller stands would be nice

Originally posted by fierofool:

If the stand came loose from the bottom of the wing and neither is broken, you can probably just install a new Well-Nut into the wing. Autobody paint and body supply stores usually carry a good selection of AuVeCo well-nuts. Ace Hardware stores usually have various sizes, too. Fastenal is another source.

You might also check with Tha Driver (Paul) or The Fiero Farm (Todd). One of them should have the stand you need.

[This message has been edited by Madathlon (edited 04-17-2018).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 2 weeks ago I went to the South San Jose Pick & Pull to pull the calipers off of a Formula....It had the wing and the stands....Don't know how good they are, but ANYONE looking for parts should go to P&P website, then click on "Row 52" and enter their info and it will show you what they have. You can look all over the country, or just very locally.

And, just so you know, my favorite (Non-Boating) place to camp is Lassen Volcanic NP....I am definitely going there this summer...I need my fix! Funny story about Lassen/Fieros; Drove up to the southwest entrance and stopped at the Chalet (RIP) for breakfast...I parked my Fiero next to a >>>Fiero<<<.....This is in the middle of (Basically) nowhere, so I was very surprised...The lady behind the counter owned it......Get done eating, head back down to the parking lot.....And there is a THIRD Fiero parked there! The guy was coming down from Canada to go to a Fiero meet in Monterey......Look at a map of CA and see how far off the "Beaten path" Lassen is...What are the odds?
Madathlon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats Cool, as I say to friends back east, Im so close to Lassen I can throw rocks at it, and if it blows its top Id be the first to know but won't be telling anyone LOL

But really if your heading up that way I live just before the KOA (Really behind it) so your welcome to drop in.

Originally posted by cvxjet:

About 2 weeks ago I went to the South San Jose Pick & Pull to pull the calipers off of a Formula....It had the wing and the stands....Don't know how good they are, but ANYONE looking for parts should go to P&P website, then click on "Row 52" and enter their info and it will show you what they have. You can look all over the country, or just very locally.

And, just so you know, my favorite (Non-Boating) place to camp is Lassen Volcanic NP....I am definitely going there this summer...I need my fix! Funny story about Lassen/Fieros; Drove up to the southwest entrance and stopped at the Chalet (RIP) for breakfast...I parked my Fiero next to a >>>Fiero<<<.....This is in the middle of (Basically) nowhere, so I was very surprised...The lady behind the counter owned it......Get done eating, head back down to the parking lot.....And there is a THIRD Fiero parked there! The guy was coming down from Canada to go to a Fiero meet in Monterey......Look at a map of CA and see how far off the "Beaten path" Lassen is...What are the odds?

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll let you know when...I have to wait until they clear the road over the top of the pass in Lassen.....Probably mid-june.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Contact Rsvl-Rider in Sacramento. He may have a couple of good sets of stands.

See the bottom of this thread to get a hold of him:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/076384.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-17-2018).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:
What are the odds?

You tell me.

Someone stole the sunroof glass from my 86GT (parts car). There is not a Fiero within 80 miles from me.
What else could it fit ? I also live off the 'beaten pass. It seems unlikely someone knew I had it.

OK, I forget, yet again. Someone post a pic of the stealth look. Thanks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock