3800 Coil Pack Question by RotrexFiero
Started on: 04-15-2018 07:49 PM
Replies: 8 (650 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 04-17-2018 10:09 AM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3800 coil pack -- there is a aluminum mounting plate underneath that the pack bolts to. Should there be some kind of conductive grease to aid in heat transfer?

I have mine mounted where the Fiero battery was traditionally located so it is in a cool place. Nonetheless, do these things heat up?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the aluminum bracket acts as a heatsink. If you look at the bottom of the ignition module, the shiny metal part needs the heatsink grease.
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The aluminum plate is part of the ICM. Heat sink paste should be applied between the ICM and it's mounting bracket, to give heat a path to move away from the ICM.....LINK
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting...thanks

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I removed the 3800 coil back from the original mounting bracket there was no grease between the bottom ICM and the bracket. I just mounted the coil pack to the old battery bracket with bolts spacers and nuts and that was it. No grease and 7 years later all is still working.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen thermal paste on a 3800 ICM....
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kind of makes me wonder, if they are physically touching why is there a need for some kind of paste? Is it so they don't fuse together?

I know on the original stock setup (the old 2.8) GM later went with some heat shielding, and even a tube with a blower to keep the ignition coil from overheating. Sitting in the heart of the engine, they were known to give up the ghost, burn out, and so I also kept a spare. And, also a ignition module. Oh, the good ole days.

[This message has been edited by RotrexFiero (edited 04-17-2018).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RotrexFiero

3692 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Amazing what a little research can do. I am answering my own questions.

The main role of thermal grease is to eliminate air gaps or spaces (which act as thermal insulator) from the interface area in order to maximize heat transfer. Thermal grease is an example of a thermal interface material.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The DIS ICM generates heat, just like the stock Fiero ICM. The difference is that the DIS ICM isn't installed right next to a hot exhaust manifold. And since the DIS ICM is physically larger, the heat is spread out over a larger area. That said, it still generates heat, and that heat needs to be dissipated.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock