rear brake caliper sucks/upgrade or? by barnbiketom
Started on: 04-13-2018 10:05 PM
Replies: 17 (518 views)
Last post by: wftb on 04-17-2018 11:38 PM
barnbiketom

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for barnbiketomSend a Private Message to barnbiketomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe beaten to death, but my e brake.. I could care less about.....
and both calipers are sticky. not the bushings.. the pistons won't pull back after applying the brakes. I can rebuild them, but what if the piston mechanism is bad ( 99% probability?)
CAN i do the Grand am mod to ONLY the rears..???? I've read just about everything on the web 2 times and can't decide to take a chance on rebuilt calipers OR just do the grand am mod..??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
barnbiketom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for barnbiketomSend a Private Message to barnbiketomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
alternatively, could i not just rebuild the caliper/ caliper bushings.. and not hook up the cable? maybe im overthinkin this lolol
But doesn't the piston initially adjust by using the e-brake???

[This message has been edited by barnbiketom (edited 04-13-2018).]

FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can put Fiero front brakes on the rear. That is what I did because my e-brake was trashed and didn't want to fix it. Buy a front Passenger Right and front Driver Left and put them on the rear. Improved braking power slightly. Keep in mind you may need to turn down your rear rotors slightly to get the pads to fit because I believe the rear rotor may be a little thicker. Been running this way for almost 10 years.
barnbiketom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for barnbiketomSend a Private Message to barnbiketomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIER086:

You can put Fiero front brakes on the rear.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I'll look into it. Also m considering Grand am calipers and rotors with the CHEAPEST pads, so as to not upset the bias as much. The GA stuff is bolt on and has vented rotor..🤔
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by barnbiketom:
... my e brake.. I could care less about.....

Originally posted by FIER086:
That is what I did because my e-brake was trashed and didn't want to fix it.

Here in Texas the e-brake has to hold the vehicle while idling in park, in order to pass inspection.

Also, when parking on a hill, the e-brake keeps the car from rolling against the cogs in the tranny when in park.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35768 posts
Member since Jun 2003
If I am not mistaken, using the e-brake also adjusts the rear brakes.
barnbiketom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for barnbiketomSend a Private Message to barnbiketomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an ok system when it works. Like 30 years ago. I've read where 90% of rebuilt calipers have bad, non working pistons in them...so what to do?🤔🤔
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2018 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1987 GT with 30,000 miles on stock brakes other than DOT 5 and stainless brakes lines will lock up Firestone Indy 500 summer tires. Very sticky tires. My e-brake has always worked. I have owned the car for nearly 20 years and over 40,000 miles. Proper maintenance.

If you take care of your shat, then it will last.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your condition of the piston not pulling back sounds more like an issue with the brake hoses than the caliper. Hoses can get old and internally swell causing a check valve type issue.
barnbiketom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for barnbiketomSend a Private Message to barnbiketomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New hoses. 😕

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

Your condition of the piston not pulling back sounds more like an issue with the brake hoses than the caliper. Hoses can get old and internally swell causing a check valve type issue.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's an easy way to test if the brake hose or caliper is bad. Open the bleeder valve, and push the brake pedal. If brake fluid squirts out, then the hose is fine (i.e. bad caliper). If little or no brake fluid comes out, then there's restriction in the brake line... probably a collapsed hose as mentioned above.
PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

There's an easy way to test if the brake hose or caliper is bad. Open the bleeder valve, and push the brake pedal. If brake fluid squirts out, then the hose is fine (i.e. bad caliper). If little or no brake fluid comes out, then there's restriction in the brake line... probably a collapsed hose as mentioned above.

This is a good test but not 100% conclusive. I have had two hoses in my time that allowed pedal (high) pressure through but would not return to static or no pressure on the caliper piston. Both times it was a hose that had a metal bracket near the center that bolted to the upper a arm or strut. The bracket had rusted enough it was pinching the hose. Opening the bracket with a screwdriver allowed the hose to flow properly which I then replaced the hose.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by barnbiketom:

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I'll look into it. Also m considering Grand am calipers and rotors with the CHEAPEST pads, so as to not upset the bias as much. The GA stuff is bolt on and has vented rotor..🤔

You will upset bias by using GA on rear only.
If you go GA on all four corners with early 90's Blazer M/C you will have good bias.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PA inspections and law/rules in many other states requires a working Parking Park. Including "antique" and other tags. read DMV sites etc.

Fixing/restoring See my Cave, Rear Brakes and Brake Service

fix the system and use Wagner TQ or other premium pads sold thru AZ and other local stores and hoses w/ SAE J1401 "rubber"
Hoses have DOT and SAE J1401 printed on the hose. Hoses only have DOT label isn't same but cost is nearly the same for low grade part.
see //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html
Likely need new PB cables etc too. New cables are better then OE even when they were new.

"Full" GA "upgrade" does little and have many problems but many still push that crap including TFS.
GA rear only is outright dangerous no matter who claims can make it safe.
See my Cave, Brake Upgrade

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-16-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Returning the system to OEM status is always the best solution.

Ogre, have you any first hand, long term experience with the four corner GA upgrade with the proper M/C?
barnbiketom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for barnbiketomSend a Private Message to barnbiketomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Returning the system to OEM status is always the best solution.

Ogre, have you any first hand, long term experience with the four corner GA upgrade with the proper M/C?

I agree now 100%
i have rebuild kits coming for all 4 corners.. and the Raybestos DPS85090 pistons if needed are available everywhere!!!!

barnbiketom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for barnbiketomSend a Private Message to barnbiketomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

barnbiketom

23 posts
Member since Feb 2018
I read all this last night. many thanks...... I'm returning it to all stock status

Originally posted by theogre:

PA inspections and law/rules in many other states requires a working Parking Park. Including "antique" and other tags. read DMV sites etc.

Fixing/restoring See my Cave, Rear Brakes and Brake Service

fix the system and use Wagner TQ or other premium pads sold thru AZ and other local stores and hoses w/ SAE J1401 "rubber"
Hoses have DOT and SAE J1401 printed on the hose. Hoses only have DOT label isn't same but cost is nearly the same for low grade part.
see //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html
Likely need new PB cables etc too. New cables are better then OE even when they were new.

"Full" GA "upgrade" does little and have many problems but many still push that crap including TFS.
GA rear only is outright dangerous no matter who claims can make it safe.
See my Cave, Brake Upgrade

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a thread with part #s for new rear caliper pistons. Good pistons are the key to good rear calipers as far as I am concerned. The next time I have to rebuild a stock caliper I am going to put a new piston in it.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140716.html

86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 04-17-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave