88 GT Lateral Control arm mount broke by Dragonfish
Started on: 04-08-2018 04:21 PM
Replies: 5 (299 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 04-09-2018 04:47 PM
Dragonfish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While on a cruise today I noticed that when I give it any amount of gas the whole back end seems to swing wildly around. Looks like the rusty lateral control arm mount sheered off the cradle. Anyone make an aftermarket replacement or a bolt on part? The cradle is pretty rusty there so I'm not sure I can get a new one welded on.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dragonfish:

Looks like the rusty lateral control arm mount sheered off the cradle. The cradle is pretty rusty there so I'm not sure I can get a new one welded on.

You've already been questioned Here about the safety of that car due to rust.

Seriously, is this a car you should be driving your daughter around in... or driving at all?

Originally posted by Dragonfish:

took my daughter out to the park and for a long cruise...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-08-2018).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you need another engine cradle. If the suspension mounting points are rusting away, then the rest isn't far behind.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I would be inclined to replace the entire cradle.

Seriously... if the rest of that car is rusted that badly, please consider buying another 88 and using that one for parts.
(Even a base 88 coupe will have all of the "good" suspension and brake parts. EVERYTHING else can be bolted on. Engine, body panels, interior. It could "become a GT" except for the VIN.)

Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to say, I think i'm going to take your advice and part it out or sell it as a parts car. A member of my local club already made an offer fully knowing the condition of the frame rust.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good decision

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock