Mystery Fuel leak from top of gas tank by DasCabbageMan
Started on: 04-02-2018 11:49 AM
Replies: 16 (538 views)
Last post by: DasCabbageMan on 04-17-2018 04:36 PM
DasCabbageMan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2018 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 1986 GT I discovered a pretty decent sized leak coming from the center of the car. After closer inspection I found that it was gasoline. After dropping the tank, I noticed saturation around and in the fuel pump seal and all round the O-Ring. The leak was still happenning when the car was just sitting in one place, so I dont understand how the leak would leak from there. The previous owner did the fuel pump just beforeI baught it and was trying to get it to start after sitting for 18 years. The O-Ring wasn't completely sealed all the way, but still, unless the fuel is being sprayed up into the cap, I don't see why its leaking.

Also, the car has been having some running problems. After starting the car, it will rev up to 2000 RPM then drop to 0 if cold. After 5-6 times of this, It will stay and idle around 500 RPM for a fe seconds before sputtering out. When warm, It will bounce from 700-1800 RPM slowly and sometimes sputter. I thought that This was becuase of my CAT since they were prone to failiure. Also, The exhaust pipe and side of CAT glow dark-to-medium orange once at temperature.

Would my CAT cause this hard-running due to exhaust restriction? Or would it possibly be from a leaky fuel pump? The beige rubber line from the pump to the fuel pipe inside the gas tank doesnt have any kind of seal or clamp on it; and I didnt know if it was supposed to at all. I twisted the beige pipe gently to see if it was tight, and it turned quite easily.

It would be much easier If I didn't have Windows 10 so that I could actually use the image poster...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2018 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DasCabbageMan:

It would be much easier If I didn't have Windows 10 so that I could actually use the image poster...

Windows 10 works fine with PIP.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2018 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would seem like a hose or line above the tank leaking?

Id check fuel pressure.

DasCabbageMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2018 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Would seem like a hose or line above the tank leaking?

Id check fuel pressure.

How could I do that? Do i need a special sensor or something? I tried pressurizing the system by plugging the pump line but I could see no residual leaking.

[This message has been edited by DasCabbageMan (edited 04-02-2018).]

DasCabbageMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2018 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DasCabbageMan

57 posts
Member since Apr 2017

Originally posted by Gall757:

Windows 10 works fine with PIP.

I’ll try it again.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2018 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How could I do that?

There is a valve on top of the V6 that will accept a pressure gauge. do a search for 'Schrader valve' and include the archives.

IF you have an old copy of PIP, you may have to dump it and get a new one.
DasCabbageMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2018 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

There is a valve on top of the V6 that will accept a pressure gauge. do a search for 'Schrader valve' and include the archives.

IF you have an old copy of PIP, you may have to dump it and get a new one.

Is there a way to do it with the tank off the car? As it was a pain in the ass to take out..
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2018 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fuel lines should have hose clamps on them. The connections will leak if they aren't clamped. Also, try to use fuel injection clamps, if you can find them. Regular hose clamps can bite into the hose, and cause it to leak over time.

(Hint: Search for "fuel injection hose clamps" on Amazon)
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2018 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Canadian tire sells fuel injection clamps as well as the short chunk of hose that you may need. If it is leaking with the car just sitting there I would suspect a leak in the hose spraying fuel up at the pump cover. When I first got my Fiero running after sitting for 10 years, the cat had deteriated to a pile of loose crumbled bits that plugged the flow almost completely. But the problem you are describing sounds like a vaccuum leak.
DasCabbageMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2018 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

Canadian tire sells fuel injection clamps as well as the short chunk of hose that you may need. If it is leaking with the car just sitting there I would suspect a leak in the hose spraying fuel up at the pump cover. When I first got my Fiero running after sitting for 10 years, the cat had deteriated to a pile of loose crumbled bits that plugged the flow almost completely. But the problem you are describing sounds like a vaccuum leak.

I have done checks over the vacume lines multiple times; they seem okay. I suppose i could take off my EGR and inspect the metal pipe more closely. Many have said that 9/10 times thats where the vaccume leak would come from. They are apparently very brittle and prone to cracking.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2018 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note: Soft fuel lines for 0psi, low or high psi hoses need right clamps. See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/140989.html#p10

Leaks at Top of tank can leak liquid or fumes. Even at very top when driving and tank near full because liquid moves.
Leak in bottom or tank lines to/from engine most leak liquid.
Leak in fill and vents lines most leak fumes but can leak liquid if you fill or have a full tank.
More problems... Fume leaks work both ways and let air/moisture in that can cause big problems because moisture cause rust to start and Ethanol love water and pulls more moisture it the tank.

screwy idle can be vac problem and/or bad power/grounds.
See my Cave, Vac Leaks and Wire Service

F'd Cat or Ignition problem can causes glowing pipe(s) but Iffy O2 sender or vac problems can make the engine to run lean cause very hot exhaust too.
If Exhaust manifold(s) glows then expect crack/broken parts. And doesn't matter how made. Cast iron and high $ headers can break heated to glowing.
Glowing pipes then expect the cat is dead even if not the root cause because overheat for any reason can make the guts to melt and plug.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
DasCabbageMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really? PIP limits the filesize to 1024 pixels?? My iphone takes pictures 3 times as big.... How can I use the pictures my iphone took wihtout cropping them to infinity and beyond?

Wow, this was quite tedious:

the leakiness around the seal...

And the setup I currently have for the fuel pump...

Also, I've tried to "blow air" through the vaccume lines just as a wild test idea, and heard a small air leak, although I couldnt pinpoint it. Is it supoosed to be able to leak like that? The other ones I tested did not give any air out. The one I tested was on the manifold above the distributor:

I feel like the fuel line in my photos isnt doing its job. I head that the fuel system gets up to like 40-60PSI and this beige colored line isnt tightened on at all. It may be jusr spraying up against the lid and causing it to leak through the seal. I can't tell what the old system was in place of this susbtitiute hose, but would it be worth using a couple of fuel line clamps like the ones off the metal pipes from the gas tank on it?

[This message has been edited by DasCabbageMan (edited 04-16-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Really? PIP limits the filesize to 1024 pixels??

No, the file size is limited to 300 kb. The image width is limited to 1024 pixels.

My iphone takes pictures 3 times as big.... How can I use the pictures my iphone took wihtout cropping them to infinity and beyond?

You're going to have to re-size and/or re-compress your images. I use IrfanView, but there are plenty of other utilities.
DasCabbageMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You're going to have to re-size and/or re-compress your images. I use IrfanView, but there are plenty of other utilities.

got it, thanks
DasCabbageMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have images of the old ststem for the fuel pump? The old system looks like a black thick cylinder above the pump... what does that cylinder do?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The old system looks like a black thick cylinder above the pump... what does that cylinder do?

Look up "pulsator". Replacement fuel pumps don't appear to require it. It's often now replaced with a short length of submersible fuel hose.
DasCabbageMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Look up "pulsator". Replacement fuel pumps don't appear to require it. It's often now replaced with a short length of submersible fuel hose.

Would the replacement hose come with clamps for it? The previous owner did it himself; so I have no idea what products he used... also; what would happen if the pulsator was removed from the OEM fuel pump?

[This message has been edited by DasCabbageMan (edited 04-17-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock