Turn Signal Cancelling Cam by VanGTP5000
Started on: 03-23-2018 05:11 PM
Replies: 20 (450 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 01-29-2021 06:11 PM
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone confirm the part number is 83232? Dorman Help makes one but both Advance and AutoZone sites say it is not compatible with the Fiero.

Thanks,

-Van
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea but This is what Dorman's website says. For an 87 anyways.

[This message has been edited by jpeeler (edited 03-23-2018).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're referring to the horn ring/turn signal cam. The white one is for tilt columns, the green for non-tilt. https://shop.advanceautopar...iate&c3nid=IR-27795# I know it says it won't fit a Fiero, but it does. I have two in use at the present time.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-23-2018).]

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jpeeler:

I have no idea but This is what Dorman's website says. For an 87 anyways.

Nah...that's not it.

-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017

Originally posted by fierofool:

You're referring to the horn ring/turn signal cam. The white one is for tilt columns, the green for non-tilt. https://sh op.advanceautopar...iate&c3nid=IR-27795# I know it says it won't fit a Fiero, but it does. I have two in use at the present time.

Yep...that's it. Yeah it says it won't fit. That's what I thought.

Thanks Charlie,

-Van
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Digging on the forum via search yields 83232 as a usable cancel cam for a tilt column. It should be white. 83233 is the non-tilt green version. Not sure why the interchange doesn't list a fiero, perhaps because the horn contact plunger kit that Dorman makes, does NOT work on a fiero. The plunger and spring are shorter in this kit, and was more typical of the average Saginaw column. At least that is what I have made of it so far, since these pieces go hand-in-hand.
I had bought the cancel cam, thinking the metal contact broke free from it and would not contact the horn contact pin. Here, I discovered that I had installed the spring and plunger incorrectly
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is ironic Viperine ... because I was only buying the turn signal cancelling cam for the horn spring tower mounted on it that the plunger mounts into. I just used putty where the plastic tower broke off and it did the trick.

Thanks guys.

-Van
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you'd like, I will be cracking open Manda's yellow formula's column in the next few days to assess the damage from the theft attempt. I can compare what should be an OE cancel cam with the still-in-the-box Dorman tilt cancel cam. Should be able to verify it easily.
The Dorman part does come with a black extra ring that I don't recall seeing in previous column repairs, but it's basically a gasket and it slides right off.
My only concern, is did all fiero colums/steering wheels use the same setup? This will be a 4 spoke formula wheel...
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theft attempt? Ugh that sux!!!

Sorry to hear that man!
-Van
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2018 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

My only concern, is did all fiero colums/steering wheels use the same setup? This will be a 4 spoke formula wheel...

I don't know about the 84, but I've used this part on an 85, 86, 87 and 88 with tilt. The 88 had a 4-spoke wheel, the others a 3-spoke but all were tilt column.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know about the 84, but I've used this part on an 85, 86, 87 and 88 with tilt. The 88 had a 4-spoke wheel, the others a 3-spoke but all were tilt column.

Hey Charlie!...been a long time man...Hope all is well.

I assume that the horn worked using that cancel cam? I am searching the forum for a tutorial on how to change the turn signal cancel cam because the putty cracked and dried up on my broken one and its finally time to actually replace it.

Best,
-Van
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need SW puller and Lock Plate puller. Often Get thru "loaner tools" at AZ etc.

When lock plate is push to clean the clip...
pry out of the slot then Push the clip On To the tool before removing the tool. this prevents loosing the clip etc.

Note: Should be a clip over the SW Nut that seems to do nothing. This is safety feature to stop the nut and SW getting loose or worse. Replace it when done.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're referring to the plate where the horn button and spring are located, they are available. This is from one of my posts on the Georgia Fiero message board. All years are the same and the plate isn't year-specific. They fit all Fiero steering wheels. They're just column specific for tilt or non-tilt. Explained below.

Turn signal cam and springs are available at Advance. They're shown in the side bar in the link below. Dorman products. Most parts stores carry the Dorman line. The horn ring is used on many GM vehicles. It's not listed for the Fiero but the S10 uses it. The white one is for tilt columns, the green for non-tilt. http://shop.advanceautopart...am-83232/17190463-P# I know it says it won't fit a Fiero, but it does. I have two in use at the present time.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-11-2021).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:

Hey Charlie!...been a long time man...Hope all is well.

I assume that the horn worked using that cancel cam? I am searching the forum for a tutorial on how to change the turn signal cancel cam because the putty cracked and dried up on my broken one and its finally time to actually replace it.

Best,
-Van

It has been a long time. Thought about you from time to time and wondered about you. I figured you'd sold the car and moved on.

I don't remember receiving a cancel cam from you. I've replaced them in several cars and usually get them at the parts store. I think I have one or two in the garage.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2021 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Need SW puller and Lock Plate puller. Often Get thru "loaner tools" at AZ etc.

When lock plate is push to clean the clip...
pry out of the slot then Push the clip On To the tool before removing the tool. this prevents loosing the clip etc.

Note: Should be a clip over the SW Nut that seems to do nothing. This is safety feature to stop the nut and SW getting loose or worse. Replace it when done.

Thank You very much theogre! I had a feeling I needed at the very least a steering wheel puller...

Best,
Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2021 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017

If you're referring to the plate where the horn button and spring are located, they are available. This is from one of my posts on the Georgia Fiero message board. All years are the same and the plate isn't year-specific. They fit all Fiero steering wheels. They're just column specific for tilt or non-tilt. Explained below.

Turn signal cam and springs are available at Advance. They're shown in the side bar in the link below. Dorman products. Most parts stores carry the Dorman line. The horn ring is used on many GM vehicles. It's not listed for the Fiero but the S10 uses it. The white one is for tilt columns, the green for non-tilt. http://shop.advanceautopart...am-83232/17190463-P# I know it says it won't fit a Fiero, but it does. I have two in use at the present time.

Thank you for the reply Charlie but I knew all this thanks to you. My question was did the horn work. There seems to be some consensus that using this part causes the spring to hang up such that the horn doesn't work properly.

Best,
-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2021 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017

It has been a long time. Thought about you from time to time and wondered about you. I figured you'd sold the car and moved on.

I don't remember receiving a cancel cam from you. I've replaced them in several cars and usually get them at the parts store. I think I have one or two in the garage.

I sent you a PM.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:
Thank You very much theogre! I had a feeling I needed at the very least a steering wheel puller...
You will need both because cam is under the L-plate. Read cave link and links in the page.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2021 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VanGTP5000:
You will need both because cam is under the L-plate. Read cave link and links in the page.[/QUOTE]

theogre I am having trouble finding the area of the cave link that talks about how to replace the turn signal cancel cam. I looked under horn which says to look at the article in steering where this is all I foung:

"Don't discard the plastic trim that snaps on the lock plate. The trim helps prevent objects from entering the column. Foreign objects in the column could cause a short circuit or damage the turn signal parts.

Please let me know if I am looking in the wrong place. Thank you.

-Van
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2021 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Again, You need Both tools plus SAE Not Metric socket to remove S-wheel nut.
Cam is under the L-pate. Horn connection goes Thru the S-wheel and L-pate to get at slip ring on the cam.

See my Cave, Steering
and links/dl on same like
http://www.fieros.de/en/main.html to Illustrated steering column disassembly http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html

many parts in/on S-column are Not Metric. Because same maker of S-columns made before GM move most things to Metric sizes.
Ford and Chrysler did same in late 70's to 80's w/ a mix of SAE and Metric depending what your dealing w/ at a given time.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2021 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre.

I didn't need the steering wheel puller bc I have a Grant aftermarket wheel.

I did follow the instructions and successfully replaced the cancel cam FINALLY!

Thanks again Ogre and Charlie for the help.

-Van
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock