Best 3.8 SC combo? by stormy69
Started on: 03-21-2018 02:27 AM
Replies: 2 (222 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 03-21-2018 07:45 PM
stormy69

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stormy69Send a Private Message to stormy69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After hoping to own a Fiero since i was 14 (in 1984) i finally purchased a 1988 Fiero GT this week. Its got a flat cam and is an automatic. Knowing I would own one sooner or later, I came across a craigslist ad about 3 years ago with a guy selling an upgraded zzp supercharger (the extended case for larger rotors but i dont recall displacement) the liquid to air intercooler and a new zzp cam, all for a 3.8. As i cant see them going to waste by going to an LS4 i am committing to the 3.8. I can honestly say i have little knowledge about various 3.8 series but need to figure out the best combo of jy parts to make one.

I did research the forum and came up empty handed... So, if the experts here were hell bent on a 3.8, what would you drag out of the jy to do it with? I will be using the automatic from whatever I should as well which appears to be the 4t65e HD. If there is a better option please throw it out there. I would love a 6 speed out of a G6 but since the car is an auto I am just going to roll with it.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your best bet would be a Series III, they were in the later year cars and would have the lowest miles. If you want to use the upgraded parts you now own, you can retrofit them to the S3 long block and use an S2 lower intake manifold. Or just use the S3 setup with a N* throttle body and LQ4 MAF for simplicity......
IP: Logged
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a list of what I installed on my Series III SC engine. I did not optimize it for absolute performance but wanted something around 300 hp that was very streetable and reliable. I am quite happy with how things worked out for me with this swap.

2006 Series 3 3800 SuperCharged engine ( less than 14k miles )
VS Cam Shaft
Stage 2 Inter Cooler
Ceramic coated exhaust
NorthStar Throttle body
85mm SLP MAF
ZZPerformance fuel rails
Rreturnless design fuel system
ZZPerformance MPS
Custom CAI
Installed heat resistant aluminum foil insulation on firewall
Electronic Cruise Control
AeroForce Interceptor gauge