Started on: 03-04-2018 01:45 AM
Replies: 6 (262 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-07-2018 08:30 AM
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on a friend's car with my son, I noticed the badly faded out headlamp plastics. The kid grabbed a spray can of Deep Woods OFF and did a quick spray on-wipe off. He only took a minute, and the difference was astounding. It's not a polishing thing, no real rubbing. Seems to be more of a chemical reaction process. My Fiero is OK, but you might want to try it if your rear lenses need help. Works better than anything else I've seen, and was easy.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's lots of things that will give easy, quick, temporary improvement. WD40, transmission fluid, cooking oils and other things. Problem is, it damages the plastic in the long run. For a good economical source of headlight and tail light assemblies for many models, check out https://www.autoandart.com/ I've bought complete headlight assemblies for less than $100 per pair.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a kit from Turtle wax. Works well but you have to repeat the process every 2 months or so.

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 03-04-2018).]

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used most available stuff, and mostly haven't cared for the results. That Turtle wax kit is sitting in my garage and I won't trouble myself with it again.

[This message has been edited by weaselbeak (edited 03-04-2018).]

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some headlight assemblies are not cost effective to replace (Xenon HID) when a good restore job will work for them. The problem is identifying the best restore products and applying them correctly. There is a science to prepping and polishing the surface the same as in painting and polishing. In my brief research on the subject, the object is to do a good restore job and then clear coat the lens with a UV resistant non yellowing clear, I believe 2K clear is one of the top options recommended to seal the deal for a few years. I plan on picking up a light assembly to practice on first. $100 a pop isn't bad if you can get away with that price for a new replacement.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

$100 a pop isn't bad if you can get away with that price for a new replacement.

The under $100 price I referred to was for a pair of Dodge Truck headlight assemblies which included the bulb and the Turn/parking/clearance light. I also picked up a tail light assembly for my Ford Truck for less than $50. They aren't American made but they are identical in appearance and seem to hold up just as well as the OEM lights.

I think I paid closer to $90. The price has gone down.

https://www.autoandart.com/...signal-lamp-assembly

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a 3M headlight restoration kit , I think it was a $35 value, I won it at a car show.
Here is it cheaper:
https://www.autobodytoolmar...ntent=All%20Products

Worked great, I did it on a 1999 S10 that had yellowed foggy lenses. Afterward I put synthetic wax on them and they held up, though I sold it a year later. My plan was just to keep them waxed, the wax has UV protectors.

When it came time to Fiero tail lights I did something similar but without a kit, I used varying grits of sand paper and then plastic polish with a chunk of foam on a drill.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock