Hard starting by alecbeard
Started on: 02-26-2018 09:24 AM
Replies: 21 (708 views)
Last post by: Dragonfish on 08-13-2018 12:18 PM
alecbeard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2018 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alecbeardSend a Private Message to alecbeardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having a hard start problem. Usually when cold it fires right up. But when warm, I have to turn it over for a a good 10 seconds before it finally catches. Any ideas?

'88 Formula, 6 cyl, manual
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2018 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The injectors may be leaking. Too much fuel gets into the cylinders just after you turn off a hot engine. After a while the fuel evaporates and starting is normal again. You can test for this by checking fuel pressure. It should stay up for a few minutes when the engine is turned off.
alecbeard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2018 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alecbeardSend a Private Message to alecbeardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for responding. If they are bad, does that mean I need news ones? Or maybe just o-rings?

[This message has been edited by alecbeard (edited 02-26-2018).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2018 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your fuel pressure drops off quickly, they need cleaning. The best way is to remove them and send them to a pro cleaning service. You can also take the car to a repair shop that has some powerful stuff that they use for cleaning injectors. The least effective way is to add liquid injector cleaner to your fuel. You can buy it at Auto parts stores. It may take some time for this last method to work.
thejimbud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thejimbudSend a Private Message to thejimbudEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar issue, when you turn the key to the on position, do you hear your fuel pump prime? If not, check the relay behind the drivers window on the firewall. Mine starts immediately after finding out my relay wasn't working. Turns out after long cranking the oil pressure builds enough and the oil pump activates the fuel pump as a backup if the main relay has failed.
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello alecbeard!

I have the exact problem you describe. Did you find a solution? I think I have to pull injectors out to find out if that is the problem. Hoping not problem. Anyways hope it is running better for you. Thanks

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

RudyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RudyGTSend a Private Message to RudyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im in the same boat, i've been meaning to let the fuel pump prime for the full 2 seconds before i turn the ignition but keep forgetting
my fuel rail has 45 psi, but it does leak down i think 5-10 minutes it lost 5 psi.
and when i first hooked up to it it was at 0 so it leaks all the way out for sure.
if you want to test things, you can buy a cheap switch to toggle the fuel pump test in your ALDL connector.
or can one anymore? cause radio shack doesnt exist...
i should take some of my own advice
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RudyGT:

my fuel rail has 45 psi, but it does leak down i think 5-10 minutes it lost 5 psi.
and when i first hooked up to it it was at 0 so it leaks all the way out for sure.

This is perfectly normal. If your fuel pressure dropped to Zero in a few minutes - then there may be a problem.
There is no check valve in the system, so the pressure normally dissipates back through the pump.

Originally posted by thejimbud:

I had a similar issue, when you turn the key to the on position, do you hear your fuel pump prime? If not, check the relay behind the drivers window on the firewall. Mine starts immediately after finding out my relay wasn't working. Turns out after long cranking the oil pressure builds enough and the oil pump activates the fuel pump as a backup if the main relay has failed.

This is the most likely cause based on his symptoms.
When oil is cold he has immediate high oil pressure.
When oil is hot, it takes some cranking for it to build up pressure.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-14-2018).]

fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierosound
The pressure holds well at 42psi for at least 1/2 hour and slowly falls. I hear the relay click with ignition on fuel pump 2 sec run. Possible the relay is not working when hot or malfunctioning sometimes and I don't hear it? When I unplug vacuum line on fuel pressure regulator pressure increases. Which is good. Many people keep pointing to fuel injectors. Any ideas? Hate to rip it apart and the MONEY for injectors tested. Love the car but one thing after another.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may hear the relay click, but do you hear the fuel pump running? You should.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobug:

fierosound
The pressure holds well at 42psi for at least 1/2 hour and slowly falls. I hear the relay click with ignition on fuel pump 2 sec run. Possible the relay is not working when hot or malfunctioning sometimes and I don't hear it? When I unplug vacuum line on fuel pressure regulator pressure increases. Which is good. Many people keep pointing to fuel injectors. Any ideas? Hate to rip it apart and the MONEY for injectors tested. Love the car but one thing after another.

I'd say the problem is somewhere else, not with pump/relay etc.
The Factory Service Manual points to possible ignition component problems.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-14-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
RudyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RudyGTSend a Private Message to RudyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you do register rpm's when you are cranking right? mine just gave me issues where the rpm's were at 0 when turning over
i went to the back touched the distributor cap, ground wires, and the tach filter, then it started cranking and fired up.
completely different issue i suppose but mine also suffers from a hard start
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'll check the rpm's when cranking. I think a part gets hot and stops ignition. I do not no. All suggestions welcome!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think a part gets hot and stops ignition.

That's pretty easy to check, hot or cold. Make sure you have spark that's able to jump 1/4" to exposed metal anywhere on the engine. If it does when cold, and not when hot, first component to suspect is the ICM.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flood clear mode is still available to try when cranking. Excessive fuel in the combustion chamber is a possibility, so try starting with the gas pedal pressed to the floor. Free test, anyway!
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to put a hair dryer on that icm to get it hot and see what happens. Its cold now and starts great when cold. I'll know if something is up if it cranks too long to start. I try clear flood and it still has problems firing up. Checked ohms on pickup coil and it was 835 so i guess that is ok. I have my bets on a fuel injector leaking after driving for awhile then sitting when hot. GOt to get this fixed!

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The pressure holds well at 42psi for at least 1/2 hour and slowly falls.

I try clear flood and it still has problems firing up.

These don't add up to leaking injector and flooding in my mind.
Not sure how you will test for it though...

fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope you are right fierosound. I don't want to take the plenum off and throw parts at it even though I am not sure (fuel injectors sent out and rebuilt etc). Wasted money. Don't have the time anyways. Want to focus on areas that I can test and rule out.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When it starts, does it fire up clean or does it sound rough when first starting (hot)?
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess you could say it it cranks strong when hot but takes 8-10 rough turnovers while trying to fire to idle. It starts on first fire when cold. Best I can describe it.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by fierobug (edited 07-15-2018).]

Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My sons ‘88 Formula automatic does the exact thing. I have tried EVERYTHING and then some, except for replacing injectors. I did the injector bleed down/ fuel pump test. What I found was that the fuel pressure eventually goes completely away after a few hours. I’m not sure if that is normal or not. I need to subscribe to this thread...
PFF
System Bot
Dragonfish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ever make any progress on this issue? I have a very similar situation.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock