CV joint leaking grease by Cajun
Started on: 02-10-2018 03:54 PM
Replies: 22 (614 views)
Last post by: tshark on 04-16-2018 07:08 PM
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While working on my engine today I noticed that the CV flex rubber joint driver side transmission side had leaked some grease. Before thinking about it I removed the grease that had leaked out. The grease had piled up on the cradle. I rotated the CV but saw no noticeable tear, slit or what ever on the flex joint. The grease appears to have leaked from around the CV rubber and the CV axle itself. The rubber flex joint appears to be tight and the SS retaining strap is in tack.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or clues on how to proceed? I would say it appears that about a tablespoon of grease leaked out?

If I see some additional grease on the cradle I will post some photos.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There could be a very small hole in the rubber. When that thing spins grease will find its way out for sure. I had a significant hole in my car and I had grease all over the inner fender.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 02-10-2018).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe there's a crack hidden in the folds, but you don't see it. Is the rubber hard/stiff? A boot in good condition should be soft/flexible.

If there's grease that came out, replacing the boot would be sensible. When you replace the boot, clean out all the old grease/crud. The boots normally come with the special CV axle grease.

Ideally one would replace the boot before the CV joint loses all its grease and fails, which is a more costly proposition.
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2018 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The CV is about two years old. I replaced both CV axles when I swapped in a 4T60. I have cleaned the boot that is leaking and have not located a hole, tear, or anything else. Before I cleaned the boot it appeared the leak may be located where the boot attaches to the shaft (large side).

I definitely want to address the issue before I re-install the engine.

[This message has been edited by Cajun (edited 02-11-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2018 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the clamp isn't installed right then the boot/CV can leak.
If boot and joint has too much grease then will expand and "blow" the boot or clamp area cause leaks.

OE style clamps are installed w/ a tool (Lisle 30800) and a 1/2" drive Torque Wrench and 1/2" drive "breaker" bar.
Other types have torque specs or needed tool like lisle 30950 or could be drive on types.

Not sure how to fix w/o having another clamp.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2018 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday after cleaned off the grease that had leaked, I rotated the axle 1/4 turn. Today no grease has leaked. This evening I rotated the axle again 1/4 turn. Will inspect tomorrow.

In the mean time I will be resourcing a replacement boot or at the very least a replacement clamp.

[This message has been edited by Cajun (edited 02-11-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grease won't leak sitting parked.
Similar to brake grease won't run/flow until very hot or have enough force to move it.

May not leak in winter until drive enough to get it warm or hot then will often need spinning too for "weak" clamps.
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2018 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My engine is out of the car, still attached to the cradle on a dolly. When there is grease that has pooled on the cradle directly below the CV I would say grease has leaked out!

Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2018 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You sure that is not transmission oil? I dont think CV joint grease is that fine to just leak out like that. Just a suggestion, I am by no means an expert.
greasyphil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2018 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasyphilSend a Private Message to greasyphilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im in the UK, i noticed that grease had sprayed around the wheel arch when i was checking the car over this winter, split outer boot, bought a pair of large universal boot kits the part number was 656770061 cost was £17.64, the whole assembly came apart with ease, left the hub end intact and removed the inner CV . i only use my Ferrari 308 bodied Fiero in the summer.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2018 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

You sure that is not transmission oil? I dont think CV joint grease is that fine to just leak out like that. Just a suggestion, I am by no means an expert.

Normally, grease should not leak out.

However, grease is a mixture of oil and a thickener.

Sometimes, grease can separate into its components. If this happens, I imagine that the oil could leak out.

If that is what happened, the grease should be replaced.
PFF
System Bot
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is evidence that grease is leaking out of the CV just sitting in my garage on the cradle while I'm putting her back together.

I figure that about a tablespoon or less of grease has leaked out of the CV in total. Does anyone know how much grease is in a CV?

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks tshark for your feedback. I was planning on replacing the clamp before I re-install the engine/cradle.

[This message has been edited by Cajun (edited 04-15-2018).]

Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its probably also squeezing out because the axle is at a hard angle down. When its back up it probably will not do that. I still would replace the clamp since its easy to get to right now.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Inner tripot joint takes about 3 1/2 oz of grease.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I had the EXACT same problem with that same axle. We took the axle to a shop that does this type of work, and they said that the clamp is the problem, and that that type of clamp fails. They replaced the clamp. No more leak.

What type of clamp is a good type? I have one that seeps too.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The type in the above picture (that is leaking) works fine if properly installed with the proper crimping tool.

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a photo of a CV with the boot off?

I noticed that is I press the CV boot at the leak area I can slightly depress the boot that goes into the valley. (Reference the last photo of my C V).
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The new clamp is the style sold at AutoZone.
The leaking clamp is a Balkamp, about as close to OEM as can be bought OTC.
I suspect the leaking clamp was not installed as tightly as possible (it's not easy sometimes) prior to crimping.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock