How to replace door glass weather seals by EmilioD
Started on: 02-01-2018 05:42 PM
Replies: 3 (653 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 02-05-2018 10:03 AM
EmilioD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EmilioDSend a Private Message to EmilioDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of new door glass weather seals, before I start to replace the old ones (inner & outer) I would appreciate some help on how to do it, Do I need to remove the window glass? I hope not, any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Emilio D

------------------
Emilio

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use search function on the forum. Search for Dew wipes. You don't have to take out the window but you'll need to make or buy a tool.

Nextel dude

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2018 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a link to the tool Rodney Dickman sells to make removing the screws for the outer dew wipe a lot easier.
Btw check out Rodney's site as he has a lot of good stuff for your Fiero.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=27&products_id=131
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming you know how to get the inside door panel off, I won't go through all that.

To save your fingers, at your hardware store, (ace usually has them) get a package of wood wedges used for setting doors and windows. In the videos below, I used my fingertip between the tool and window to exert force against the tool. They get very sore with this method.
Get yourself a magnetic pickup if you don't already have one.

Remove the two rubber seals at each end of the door where the window comes up through them. Be aware of the plastic washers underneath the screws. These rubber seals are partially adhered with black butyl rubber.

Using a 10MM wrench, remove the retainer nuts for the mirror. If you have power mirrors, pay attention to the routing of the wire to be sure you keep it out of the way of the window mechanism when reinstalling. Unplug the harness and remove the mirror. Same applies to the driver's manual remote cable.

Remove the inside dew wipes.

Scribe around the retainers, then loosen the two bolts on top of the door that hold the felt pads in place. Don't remove unless replacing. This will allow the window to tilt a bit, giving clearance for your dew wipe tool.

Using a box knife, cut away the remaining rubber of the outer dew wipe.

With the window down, you can access screws on either end of the outer dew wipe with a common phillips tip screwdriver. Use a magnetic pickup, held underneath the screw to catch it in case if falls. They are very difficult to retrieve if they fall into the door.

Now, roll the window up. You may have to maneuver the window up or down to gain the fullest clearance between the window and the outer dew wipe. This is where the wedges come into play. Place a wedge at each end of the window to hold the window away from the outside of the door. Use a 3rd wedge between the window and your dew wipe tool to help put pressure against the tool, keeping the tip firmly seated in the screw. Once the screw is loose, place your magnetic pickup underneath the screw.

Reverse the procedure, ecept that you can run the window down and replace the outer screws first. You will want to use something very stick on your dew wipe tool tip to keep the screw in place until you can get it started in the dew wipe.

It's been a few years since I've done any dew wipes, so the sequence of window up and down may be wrong, but it will become apparent as you proceed.

Here's a link to a tech session I did on replacement of the wipes. I didn't have the wooden wedges, so that information isn't included in the videos.
http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=755.0

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 02-05-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock