Whats's a good replacement fuel pump? by vitog44
Started on: 01-22-2018 12:31 PM
Replies: 11 (294 views)
Last post by: darbysan on 01-24-2018 09:59 AM
vitog44

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vitog44Send a Private Message to vitog44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm shopping for a replacement fuel pump for my 3.4 There are a lot of fuel pumps out there which one do you reccomend? How is the Fiero Store one?
Thanks for your input.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the Bosch one from rockauto and installed it 5 years ago. Works fine.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a review and to give a heads up based on experience... and I don't want to dog this company out too bad---- but..... I'd stay away from walbro... maybe my luck?... but I just replaced pump (#2) with approx 1500-2000 miles on it.. it cuts out.. then plays dead / then starts over; pump (#1) was the same.. BOTH pumps left me stranded on the side of the freeway. One was 96 miles out (plus the reason my wife hates this car😐) and another was 30 miles out.. thank goodness for AAA plus, though, with their 100miles and all..

Now!...... I'm trying out the EP375 fuel pump by ACDelco. ----->> It fits! ( just installed it tonight actually.. and the pigtails are plug and play ). This unit is actually the OEM piece for a 1994 Corvette with a 5.7L.. I felt it's good for our 3.4's.. and if I ever wanted to turbo or supercharge, I'll probably still be good with this pump.... you have an adjustable fuel regulator?.. the Holly one for me..

When thinking back, a production/off the line vehicle has the best pumps, I never hear of any problems... unless it's really old and needs the change.. 2000 miles, let's hope not.. Anyway, .. I will always stay away from aftermarket for pumps from now on...

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-23-2018).]

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last year I replaced my old fuel pump with a Delphi FE0114. It is rated at 34.2gph and it was supposedly the same model used on the INDY 500 LT1/4 corvettes.

Edit: Correction, it was two years ago.

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 01-23-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note: Any sold thru Ebay are often a poor copy of whatever part.
Walbro ACDelco and others have Many problems w/ counterfeit parts on Ebay.
They claim this to Ebay, Ebay cancel seller account then pops up again under a new name.
Amazon is close to same thing now.
Both do little or nothing to fight the problem because they rake in Many Millions of $ in fees even after getting sued repeatedly.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

vitog44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vitog44Send a Private Message to vitog44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input and the heads up about Ebay pumps. After reading your respnses and having done some homework , I'm leaning towards the AC Delco EP 240 for $45.49 - Autozone.
I don't want to take down the gas tank again after this if I can help it.
I welcome some more inputs.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Any sold thru Ebay are often a poor copy of whatever part.
Walbro ACDelco and others have Many problems w/ counterfeit parts on Ebay.

Ah yes, brings back fond memories of my experience from a few years ago... Should I be ticked off that the fuel pump I received is not what I ordered?
vitog44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vitog44Send a Private Message to vitog44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, I must compliment you on your tenacity to get what was advertised. As for the AC Delco EP378, from what you indicate is a better pump, completely interchangeable with the 240. Yet, the official AC Delco website does not list it for the 2.8.
Rock Auto has it for $54.79. Did you eventually install it into your Fiero ?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vitog44:

First, I must compliment you on your tenacity to get what was advertised.

Thanks. As tenacious as I was, it unfortunately didn't get me anywhere. However, I'm now fully aware that eBay caters to their shady high-volume vendors... and that they couldn't care less about the suckers like us who simply buy stuff.

Originally posted by vitog44:

Did you eventually install it into your Fiero ?

I installed the fuel pump that I received. I can't comment on the performance or durability of the pump though... as other than basically starting the engine, this particular Fiero/project became a "spare".
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using a Deutchwerks pump and really like it. They have DW200 (255 LPH@ 40 psi) and DW300 (340 LPH@40 psi) pumps that can be relatively easily installed in a Fiero tank. They also offer a three year warranty. When I purchased mine, it was a "no fault" warranty but I do not know what the current warranty details are.

Nelson

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I am using a Deutchwerks pump and really like it. They have DW200 (255 LPH@ 40 psi) and DW300 (340 LPH@40 psi) pumps that can be relatively easily installed in a Fiero tank. They also offer a three year warranty. When I purchased mine, it was a "no fault" warranty but I do not know what the current warranty details are.

Nelson

Good to know... I bought an EP-381 pump, but evaluating its suitability for my turbo project consisted of a wild guess. Deutchwerks provides a handy flow vs. pressure chart, and CAD too, so we can see what pumps fit right. If the EP-381 isn't able to maintain fuel pressure, I may just look at Deutchwerks.
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2018 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also used the EP381. I have a walbro 255 in another car, and it is a lot louder than the EP381. Only way I can tell the EP381 is priming is to watch the volt gauge, it is so quiet. As mentioned, beware of fakes.

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock