HVAC Controller Replacement/Installation by VanGTP5000
Started on: 01-18-2018 11:31 PM
Replies: 19 (537 views)
Last post by: viperine on 03-29-2018 11:22 PM
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried searching for a thread on swapping out a push button AC controller. I am pretty sure the two harness connections are plug and play, but I would like to learn how the cable is attached on the underside before I attempt to swap units.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Van
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
agranlund

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for agranlundSend a Private Message to agranlundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Van,

This is how the unit looks on the underside at both extremes of the hot/cold slider:

--Anders
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Anders. Do you recall how the cable attaches to the slider pin at the end?

-Van
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cable is held in place with a press-on washer that is quite a pain to remove. A small flathead screwdriver and patience is your friend. Try to "walk" the washer back up the post, little by little. It's spring steel and keeps itself tight with "fingers" all facing inward on the plastic post.
A screw also keeps the cable sheath positioned stable at the HVAC controller unit, this will be obvious when you start pulling it out of the console and flip it over to view underneath.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

The cable is held in place with a press-on washer that is quite a pain to remove. A small flathead screwdriver and patience is your friend. Try to "walk" the washer back up the post, little by little. It's spring steel and keeps itself tight with "fingers" all facing inward on the plastic post.
A screw also keeps the cable sheath positioned stable at the HVAC controller unit, this will be obvious when you start pulling it out of the console and flip it over to view underneath.

Thank you viperine! Good description...I need to remove my stereo before I can pull out the HVAC unit because the harness cables are pretty short in there. So this description gives me an idea of what I am up against.

Thanks,
-Van
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A small screwdriver can work for the pressed on washer but I have had better luck with a couple of seal picks or dental picks. Trick is to press up on the inner fingers only going around in a circle. If you just try to pry on the outer rim it will get tighter and break the washer or the post. Just go slow and take your time. If you do break the washer, new ones can usually be found at the parts or hardware store.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2018 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

A small screwdriver can work for the pressed on washer but I have had better luck with a couple of seal picks or dental picks. Trick is to press up on the inner fingers only going around in a circle. If you just try to pry on the outer rim it will get tighter and break the washer or the post. Just go slow and take your time. If you do break the washer, new ones can usually be found at the parts or hardware store.

Thank you for the detailed description. It will surely be a great help.

-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Boy you weren't kidding! This thing is on there really good!

Trying not to ruin it...

-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q0cVCgRYUs

-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017
Thanks again for the help...mission accomplished!

-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

I ruined it! The "Push Nut Washer" that is...

Anybody know what size it is? Also where to get one? Because I have been to two Home Depots an Ace Hardware and an AutoZone with no luck.

-Van
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you just bend a few of the ears or crinkled the washer you can flatten it with a hammer.
Most small town hardware stores have them in their fastener section.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

If you just bend a few of the ears or crinkled the washer you can flatten it with a hammer.
Most small town hardware stores have them in their fastener section.

I wasn't that lucky. The 30 y/o metal was no match for my clumsy hands! 1/3 of it broke off. Finding small town hardware stores isn't as easy as it was back in the day.

-Van
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dorman Help! Parts has an assortment of speed nuts in a pack, I'm surprised gm didn't opt for this instead of the washer we do find in this spot. You can probably get away with using either style; one is a press-fit, the other has a hexagonal shape to allow for socket install/removal. Warning though, the latter style cuts "threads" into the plastic post, and is not always easy to remove, once installed.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks John!

Is the size of the stock push nut 3/16" ?

Looks like I may be able to get one in a pack at Advance

https://shop.advanceautopar...5-961-345/22972241-P

or

https://shop.advanceautopar...-in-45849/12019051-P

-Van

[This message has been edited by VanGTP5000 (edited 03-21-2018).]

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would lean more to the hex type that cut threads
A Dorman assortment pack should cover the size possibilities.
Dorman speed nuts
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

viperine

1401 posts
Member since Feb 2015
Furthermore, I just located my spare HVAC unit, I could mail you the OE fastener if you prefer.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent Viperine.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much Vip! Got the Press Nut today.

-Van
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to help, now be careful with this one

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock