Best Way to clean an Alternator? by jetfighterv
Started on: 01-15-2018 10:53 AM
Replies: 12 (816 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-23-2018 03:29 PM
jetfighterv

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2018 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetfightervSend a Private Message to jetfightervEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got a used alternator after mine quit working id like to clean it up and maybe even paint it. Whats the best way to do that without hurting it or taking it apart thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a wire brush on the end of my drill.
Cleaned up well enough to paint.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
err. Don't spray paint it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paint and Chrome are enemies to many things...
Both causes alt and other electronic parts to run hotter.
Aluminum case is the Heat Sink for Alt Regulator and Diodes, Many types of ICM, etc. Paint/Chrome act as thermal insulation reduces air getting to cool the heatsink.

Clean but try to keep crap from going inside the alt. Crap gets into it can be metal etc and may work dry but have problems when alt is wet.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-15-2018).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disassembly is the best way if you're going to paint the case. I am not sure otherwise how the case can be prepped properly when assembled, and then how overspray can be avoided if painting the alternator assembled.

For cleaning:
I would suggest degreaser on the outside (such as the aluminium-safe version of Simple Green), let it sit, then scrub with a brush. Rinse with water. If available, blow out water with compressed air.

Then, bake the alternator in the oven at the lowest temperature setting for an hour or so to dry everything out. My oven went down to 180°F, so that's the temperature I used.
robymon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robymonSend a Private Message to robymonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with pmbrunelle. Disassembling it will allow you to properly prep the surface before painting.
Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you are going to paint it, paint it VERY lightly. any thickness to the paint like the ogre said will add thermal insulation.
more thermal insulation is bad new bears.

you could always disassemble, sand and polish the outer casing.
It would require some effort but you could get it to shine like chrome.
It wont last for ever as it will eventually oxidize to a dull gray again but it can be done. And you can always re -polish it when it does.

If you polish the housing resist the urge to clear coat the housing as it will once again add thermal insulation.

Just my 2cents
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2018 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, the question was how to clean it up without taking it apart.
And as for paint adding a thermal layer.... well, yes, but this would not be significant. Even coatings which are claimed to provide insulation, reflect heat, etc only yield about a 30 degree temperature change. A thin coat of paint, which has no heat retaining/reflecting properties isn't going to significantly change the internal temp of the alternator.

jetfighterv

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2018 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetfightervSend a Private Message to jetfightervEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Guys, the question was how to clean it up without taking it apart.
And as for paint adding a thermal layer.... well, yes, but this would not be significant. Even coatings which are claimed to provide insulation, reflect heat, etc only yield about a 30 degree temperature change. A thin coat of paint, which has no heat retaining/reflecting properties isn't going to significantly change the internal temp of the alternator.

thanks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an alt on a truck once that looked nasty and it just didn't want to get clean with conventional means.
I took an aluminum color paint like this, put a rubber glove on my hand, and then an old sock on that, sprayed the paint onto the sock in a concentrated area so it was wet, and then wiped it on the alt. Its a good way to paint it lightly without a mess, dries real fast too.

jetfighterv

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2018 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetfightervSend a Private Message to jetfightervEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I had an alt on a truck once that looked nasty and it just didn't want to get clean with conventional means.
I took an aluminum color paint like this, put a rubber glove on my hand, and then an old sock on that, sprayed the paint onto the sock in a concentrated area so it was wet, and then wiped it on the alt. Its a good way to paint it lightly without a mess, dries real fast too.

thats what I was thinking I noticed those foam paint brushes do pretty well as well spraying on it then on rub on alternator
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetfighterv:

thats what I was thinking I noticed those foam paint brushes do pretty well as well spraying on it then on rub on alternator

Possibly, the solvents in spray paint eat some foams.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I use both the cast aluminum spray and the cast iron spray. They both cover fast so you dont need a lot. I used them on all my show cars and street cars without any problems at all. The cast iron still will burn off exhaust manifolds...hi heat makes no difference.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock