Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  L67 swap in Aus.....plug and play harness?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
L67 swap in Aus.....plug and play harness? by Mr. Pat
Started on: 01-07-2018 08:25 PM
Replies: 17 (446 views)
Last post by: Mr. Pat on 02-11-2018 07:04 PM
Mr. Pat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2018 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Guys,

in the planning stages of swapping in an L67. I'm in Australia so i'm not too sure what I will need to import if anything. But i've messaged a guy or 2 who sold plug and play harnesses but no-one has gotten back to me. Can anyone help me out there? Also while i'm on topic, anything else I need to look out for to make it as easy as possible? All of our L67 cars are rear wheel drive so slightly different but same basic animal. And as for upgrades, I want to build it up a bit while its still out the car. Cam, pully upgrade, tune and IC enough to keep me happy?

Thanks for any help

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E and the spray
R.I.P

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2018 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:

Hi Guys,

in the planning stages of swapping in an L67. I'm in Australia so i'm not too sure what I will need to import if anything. But i've messaged a guy or 2 who sold plug and play harnesses but no-one has gotten back to me. Can anyone help me out there? Also while i'm on topic, anything else I need to look out for to make it as easy as possible? All of our L67 cars are rear wheel drive so slightly different but same basic animal. And as for upgrades, I want to build it up a bit while its still out the car. Cam, pully upgrade, tune and IC enough to keep me happy?

Thanks for any help

I never saw another Fiero when I was living in Queensland/Brisbane so it is nice to see that a few Fieros are in country. There were several vendors of plug and play harnessed for a 3800 engine on PFF. I think that Fiero Flyer (Canada), maybe phonedawg, and at least one other vendor were recently seen of PFF. Do a quick search on the plug and play harness and you are likely to turn up several reputable suppliers.

A stock Series II SC engine with a decent intake and exhaust system, manual transmission, and 3.4" pulley should yield about 255 HP and 300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels. A Series III SC engine with a N* TV,short stack intercooler, headers, 3.4" pulley, oversized intake and exhaust piping should produce around 300 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels with a manual transmission. My numbers are based on dyno runs on a couple of my cars and a very conservative tune.

As far as suggested mods, look at using a VS cam, intercooler from ZZP or another source, a 3.2 or a 3.4" pulley, larger air and exhaust piping, custom tune, etc. and you will get a streetable vehicle with good performance. Going turbo will up the hp/performance but complicate things a bit due to piping and additional expenses for equipment.

Nelson

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2018 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I never saw another Fiero when I was living in Queensland/Brisbane so it is nice to see that a few Fieros are in country. There were several vendors of plug and play harnessed for a 3800 engine on PFF. I think that Fiero Flyer (Canada), maybe phonedawg, and at least one other vendor were recently seen of PFF. Do a quick search on the plug and play harness and you are likely to turn up several reputable suppliers.

A stock Series II SC engine with a decent intake and exhaust system, manual transmission, and 3.4" pulley should yield about 255 HP and 300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels. A Series III SC engine with a N* TV,short stack intercooler, headers, 3.4" pulley, oversized intake and exhaust piping should produce around 300 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels with a manual transmission. My numbers are based on dyno runs on a couple of my cars and a very conservative tune.

As far as suggested mods, look at using a VS cam, intercooler from ZZP or another source, a 3.2 or a 3.4" pulley, larger air and exhaust piping, custom tune, etc. and you will get a streetable vehicle with good performance. Going turbo will up the hp/performance but complicate things a bit due to piping and additional expenses for equipment.

Nelson

Thanks for the info........i've been back in Aus for nearly 5yrs now and this is the first one i've seen in Melbourne. I actually shipped this one sight unseen from Perth!

I'll be sure to be hitting those guys up. If i recall the wiring is the biggest headache?? Found a nice cam kit over here from MACE. Reckon ill do that, smaller pully, intercooler and a good tune. I have an LS2 in my sedan if I need earth bending power

I use to live in Aiken BTW! In fact my LT1 GT is floating around Columbia somewhere. A wreckers got her due to circumstances out of my control around 10yrs ago now. 20 grand ill never see again lol

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pat (edited 01-07-2018).]

AustinH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustinHSend a Private Message to AustinHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
James L. Brown (USA) or Danny Mcilmoyle (CANADA) are available through Facebook. Search their names. They are in pretty much every Fiero facebook group to make it easier.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2018 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AustinH:

James L. Brown (USA) or Danny Mcilmoyle (CANADA) are available through Facebook. Search their names. They are in pretty much every Fiero facebook group to make it easier.

Legend. Thanks man

Harold James Kie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2018 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if it will help you or not but a company named FiTech makes a product that is supposed to allow for easier LS engine swaps. There is an article in the current issue of "Street Rodder" about it. I contacted them but the response was still not clear as to a Fiero/LS swap. Good luck! They are a respectable company with several years of experience, mostly carbs and fuel injection systems.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2018 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I showed a picture of our L67s to a few facebook groups. Consensus was if we used an Australian one we'd need the sump/oil pan from a US engine and most likely an intake unless you can figure out another way to route. Other than that it will be trial and error I'm afraid
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2018 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much have you done so far. There are a few l67 Ausfiero has done a couople and GTjames did a swap.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2018 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make your own. I've made 3 for mine. But, if I had to do it again, I'd definitely Pay Dan the $400 for one of his. "Fieroflyer" on this site.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far i've done nothing lol. I contacted James. L. Brown. Im on his list. Lovely bloke. He's going to sort me out with some mounts too. Trial and error isnt too big of a deal, just would like it to not be complete trial and error!!

Thanks for all the help guys
jetfighterv

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2018 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetfightervSend a Private Message to jetfightervEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:

So far i've done nothing lol. I contacted James. L. Brown. Im on his list. Lovely bloke. He's going to sort me out with some mounts too. Trial and error isnt too big of a deal, just would like it to not be complete trial and error!!

Thanks for all the help guys

Hes a great guy ive been talking to him for a few months and he has helped me out with everything ive asked him he will be doing my harness as well
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2018 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Mr. Pat , was a pleasure talking with you.... Just give me a shout when you are ready or if you have any questions do not hesitate.. I have gotten behind on harnesses a bit due to ot at full time job , but hoping that levels out soon..
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2018 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jb1

2146 posts
Member since May 2003
Thanks for mind words..
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're super serious about the swap, I can help you teach yourself to make a harness.

I wanted to save the money and had never so much as installed an aftermarket radio before I started(no electrical experience). When I finished, I had a neat, working harness that held up on cross country trips and works very well(working OBDII as well!).

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, bit of an update. I have the motor now. Still not in a mammoth rush, gotta research some more odds and ends but i'm sure I will be asking some more questions
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr. Pat

1860 posts
Member since Apr 2003

Originally posted by Threedog:

If you're super serious about the swap, I can help you teach yourself to make a harness.

I wanted to save the money and had never so much as installed an aftermarket radio before I started(no electrical experience). When I finished, I had a neat, working harness that held up on cross country trips and works very well(working OBDII as well!).

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I appreciate it man, my problem is i'm time poor . Starting next week I will have 2 schools going full tilt and it will be non stop till December. So anything I can get pre-done to save myself time and effort I will do.
hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat I will be interested to know what you find regards the sump and manifolds as I am looking at doing an L36 na swap.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2018 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

Thanks Mr. Pat , was a pleasure talking with you.... Just give me a shout when you are ready or if you have any questions do not hesitate.. I have gotten behind on harnesses a bit due to ot at full time job , but hoping that levels out soon..

Yeah man just let me know when it's ready. I'm in no huge rush

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock