Custom shifter and boot by JMTUT
Started on: 01-05-2018 08:09 PM
Replies: 33 (1292 views)
Last post by: JMTUT on 04-20-2018 06:01 PM
JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always hated how the shifter boot looks. It looks sloppy to me and I think it could be cleaner.
I made a custom hollow shaft and a shift knob from Oak to fit my hand. The alarm/door lock light I installed lights up inside the shaft when set.
The boot is made from spandex type material. I deleted the ash trays as I think they look cluttered.
Let me know what you think.
It could be cleaner but I'm happy with it as proof of concept.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it. Cleans up that area
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I've always liked the wood work.. I carved mine also out of birch wood like a three finger turtle shell.. and continued with birch platform and instrument clusters.. I eliminated the ashtrays too... however, I have power mirrors. I cut a rectangle out so I could still use the electrical switches.. came out really nice as did yours

Edit to share a picture--- hope you don't mind

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-06-2018).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the look of smaller boots as well.

I still have more work to make the console area look better, but the boot is now much smaller.
Betty67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Betty67Send a Private Message to Betty67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really good! I might have to do something like that too
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are some creative and beautiful mods. I am trying to come up with a cleaner way to do my surface area. Maybe Velcro to hold the whole center column cover on?
I'm also considering adding a cup holder between the window switches.
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to see pictures of mods used to modernize the console if anyone has them.
My latest version is below
Harold James Kie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought mahogany veneer and then cut .062 aluminum to make a new console insert and I also eliminated the ash trays. The problem is/was that the wood veneer and the aluminum had different expansion and contraction rates so as the temperature changed the wood would "blister" and looked horrible. I did it over and used plastic for the base and it worked fine. I made the shifter boot from a flat piece of aluminum .250 thick that I cut in a rectangle with it being open on the inside. I filed it and sanded it until I had a profile that I thought looked good and then I polished it to a bright finish and put a clear coat on it. I had an upholstery shop make a leather boot. To anchor the aluminum frame I drilled holes in each corner and counter sunk them to accept four flat head SS screws that I had previously machined down to a lower overall height and polished. I also did the E-brake in a similar fashion with matching leather.
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JMTUT:

I'd love to see pictures of mods used to modernize the console if anyone has them.

Is this thread specific to the manual transmission vs. auto console?

-Van
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those are some creative and beautiful mods. I am trying to come up with a cleaner way to do my surface area. Maybe Velcro to hold the whole center column cover on?

You might look at some engine covers for ideas. They use a ball stud on the base and a rubber boss on the cover to hold the engine cover in place, but still be able to remove with a little effort. This method there is nothing visible from the top side.
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to see mods for both the auto and manual consoles. Always looking for ideas.

John
PFF
System Bot
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because I have a Fiero based kitcar, I felt I couldn't keep the stock T-Bar Automatic shift lever. I had originally replaced it with a leather boot made to look like a manual. I liked it a lot.

But I always wanted a simulated gated shifter so I recently finished this:

I added an LED to light it up at night:

-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017
I also removed the ashtrays and molded in loose change holders with LEDs. Since I didn't have a dome light, now simply opening one or both ashtray lids provides plenty of light!

-Van
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is really nice. I like the light colored vinyl/leather all the same colors.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much JMTUT!

-Van
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:

I added an LED to light it up at night:

-Van

Love the color scheme, beautiful stark contrast that feels comforting at the same time!

Sure is bright in there now!

I always wished I had the nerve to do white leather in my trans am, like the 25th and 30th anniversary cars. I doubt I could dare even go lighter than grey.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Love the color scheme, beautiful stark contrast that feels comforting at the same time!

Sure is bright in there now!

I always wished I had the nerve to do white leather in my trans am, like the 25th and 30th anniversary cars. I doubt I could dare even go lighter than grey.

It is bright thanks to you viperine! The LEDs really work as an interior light the way I had hoped.

Thank you for the compliment. The white interior is a labor of love. It requires a lot of maintenance to keep it clean ugh!!!

-Van
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures of version 4 attached. VanGTP, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your mono color idea. I'm trying to decide now if I'll reverse the colors on the radio surround.
I like that this car is easy to modify and show personalities of owners.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
King TUT...I don't mind it at all!!! You have definitely made it your own. I think you are going to like it if you decide to reverse the color scheme on the radio/Hvac surround.

-Van
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am going to reverse colors on the surround. I also need to repair and recover the dash so I can get rid of the awful dashmat.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am going to reverse colors on the surround. I also need to repair and recover the dash so I can get rid of the awful dashmat.

https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=92150&d=249&p=1

-Van
PFF
System Bot
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2018 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Following up with the reversed colors on my Radio Bezel.
I like how It is turning out.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2018 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh hell yeah!

-Van
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2018 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picture of original console and latest revision. As you can see, I'm having a blast working on the interior until it warms up enough to work on the exterior.

[img]

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2018 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Rodney's Hurst shifter with a round0black-old-school-4-speed shift knob. It takes me back to the 60's.
bb
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2018 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in 87, my older brother had a 69 Chevelle SS 396 with Hurst Shifter. Actually twisted a drive shaft. No subtlety to that car!
He wouldn't let me drive it at 16. Probably a wise choice.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney's short shifter is excellent and lowers the knob (I used the factory leather covered knob) down to where it should have been in the first place.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

This was my INSPIRATION right here!

Thank you very much Steve!

-Van
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love those gated shifters. Too bad I can't get one to work with a manual.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love those gated shifters. Too bad I can't get one to work with a manual.

I believe Amida has found a way to make it work with a manual. I am not certain of it but you might try reaching out to him. He is a very talented individual.

-Van
PFF
System Bot
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2018 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recovered my dash with black arctic vinyl. Covering those curves was difficult for someone with zero upholstery experience. I definitely tested my patience.
I decided to go with the matching new color from the exterior for the radio and instrument covers. I like it so far. Easy to change if I decide I don't like it in the future.
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2018 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JMTUT

371 posts
Member since Oct 2017

JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2018 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JMTUT

371 posts
Member since Oct 2017
Hard time getting pictures to post.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay