Started on: 01-01-2018 10:33 PM
Replies: 8 (358 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 01-06-2018 01:52 PM
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car was originally an 85 2.8 with the Turbo-Hydramatic.

Now, I am working on a Muncie swap (M17 case), and I am trying to figure how the coolant pipe should be secured to the transmission.
One support is quite obvious; it goes to the bellhousing bolt/stud.

However, what does the second support bolt to? The transmission case itself? The front mount bracket? I would like to know what the factory coolant pipe setup was like for a manual car.

I could go for the high-dollar Rodney Dickman option:
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=69&products_id=382

However, since I have this pipe on hand, and I do have a MIG welder, I was thinking of welding on a piece of steel to my existing piece of pipe, to convert my automatic pipe to a manual pipe... I'm just not sure how it's supposed to be done.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2018 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a similar issue with an engine swap. I just cut the support off as the bell housing one was more than adaquate.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where that pipe is supposed to bolt to is where the trans mount is bolted to the trans itself on the top left bolt. Does that make sense? I pulled my motor last week and left that pipe attached and took it off after it was out of the car. However looking at your picture it does not seem you have the same mount setup mine does. I woudl go with cut if off and not worry about it.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 01-03-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The auto and manual tubes have different mounting tabs, and can be easily modified by cutting and rewelding.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:
Where that pipe is supposed to bolt to is where the trans mount is bolted to the trans itself on the top left bolt. Does that make sense?

When I look at a picture of the manual tube, there is a flat tab in the area of the trans mount:
https://www.fierostore.com/...20STAINLESS&d=80&p=1

However, I can't see where I would bolt this flat tab on my setup. It doesn't look like it could be sandwiched under one of the trans mount bolts.

Maybe there was a pipe for Muncie transmissions and another for Getrags?

Originally posted by Spadesluck:
I woudl go with cut if off and not worry about it.

I think that the tube would survive not being attached near the mount, but I want to do a conversion that is "factory-like".

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The auto and manual tubes have different mounting tabs, and can be easily modified by cutting and rewelding.

That's what I want to do, but I can't tell how the manual tube is supposed to be, since I don't have an example of a factory V6 Muncie Fiero in front of me.

I was hoping that someone knew how the factory did it for a V6 4-speed, so I can modify my auto tube to resemble the factory setup.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got one buried under snow, it's stripped out and ready for a cradle drop.
With the weather, it will be a while before I could get you a picture.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I can't get a peek at a local Club member's car, I'll PM you when the birds start singing again.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not even think about the different mounting tabs with the auto vs manual. That would make a lot of sense then. I will take a picture of my pipe tonight so you can compare.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this picture posted by Bloozberry:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...111-2-113002.html#p3

A vertical tab of steel appears to be bolted to the transmission case to the left side of the front transmission mount.

I'll probably do that, since it looks reasonable.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock