Rear Brake Rebuild...Yet another one! by AtkRWC
Started on: 12-19-2017 08:07 PM
Replies: 10 (833 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-05-2018 08:32 PM
AtkRWC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2017 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AtkRWCSend a Private Message to AtkRWCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seasons Greetings, What ever season you are enduring. I live in deep south Texas so the season is warm and muggy!

So on to the question for the brain trust. I am rebuilding my rear calipers on my 86 GT. I am rebuilding a pair of rebuilds from the Irish store, never had luck with them even after an exchange. So, I purchased new pistons from Summit (Raybestos) and want confirmation they look like they are supposed to look. I have read a few threads here about what good ones are supposed to look like, but still am confused.

The pics on the left are the new ones, right is from the one I took out. Does the new one look like it is supposed to, in regards to the top?

Thanks all….Richard

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right is older type and also should have a wire spring pad clip.
Is also part of brake recall.

Left is Newer type. Maybe can use wire spring clip but made for stamped SS pad clip.

start at then rotate 90°

look at rockauto to see both clips under "Disc Brake Hardware Kit"
New pistons likely need clip kit because slider o-rings likely bad too. (need 1 kit)
Likely need seal kits too under "Caliper Repair Kit" (need 2 kits)

Use only brake grease for sliders etc.
See my Cave, Brake Service and Rear Brakes

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-21-2017).]

AtkRWC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AtkRWCSend a Private Message to AtkRWCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much for the reply. I do have the new style clips and rebuild supplies. I have seen your advice in the cave, and it sure has given me the confidence to go forward with the rebuild. Taking the caliper apart has given me a better understanding on how they actually operate.

Thanks again...Richard
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the Summit part # for the new pistons? I did not know they were available. Thanks.
AtkRWC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AtkRWCSend a Private Message to AtkRWCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The part numbers are: DPS85089 and DPS85090

If forget which one is left and which one is right. I can look if needed.

Richard
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2018 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to bookmark this thread now that I found it just thought it deserved a bump.
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So this fix solves the problem once defined as "a pool of rebuild rear calipers getting worse," with no recourse? I have a real old shop article which states a rear piston should be held in a vise (gently of course) and the center pulled on ...it should return on its own to test functionality. Whadda ya think of this??
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scan/picture of exact text etc would help.

Sound like hitting inner piston w/ a pin punch to loosen the two. Or pulling on big "nut" for P-brake screw. I've heard of both but never seen it written down.
Like other methods to manually adjust the rears, if that helps then very likely only temporally because any crap/moisture in the space just rust them in place again.
Big problem is Plug lets a lot both inside, worse when people drive thru deep often polluted "water."
Pulling on "nut" won't help pistons binding, may help the screw.
Twisting the "nut" might help the pistons but won't last.

This Only works w/ plug front pistons.
"Recall Kit" pistons have no plug, black oxide finish and vent hole on side behind the big outed boot. (You can't get them now but some may have them on the car.)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-04-2018).]

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scan ready, but I don't remember how to upload from my computer. Image somehow?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use PIP, DL link etc at bottom of page.
May need to run as admin to allow to update PIP server data each time run.
PIP puts link in copy/past memory and saves it too.
if big can replace first [img] w/ [img thumb] too.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-05-2018).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock