4.9 swap alive after 8 years by galleycat
Started on: 11-16-2017 12:46 AM
Replies: 16 (677 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 06-11-2018 09:41 PM
galleycat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for galleycatSend a Private Message to galleycatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldnt sell my 4.9 turbo swap so i moved it when we sold house then I decided to keep it.
i have done too much to quit now ,coilovers , c4 brakes, poly, sway bars wcf springs exhaust ..too much to mention
I need a shop in S Florida who is familiar with 4.9 swaps to put me on track with the wiring
Fieromotive is a too far from me., but still an option
all is mounted and plumbed , chip was burned , 75% of wiring was
done but i lost my place. it has just been too long . i need help
any suggestions?
it is going into paint shop prematurely to keep neighbors and wife at bay
but as soon as its out i wanna fire it up

[This message has been edited by galleycat (edited 11-16-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried to search around on the forum or google? The 4.9 is an older swap and not talked about to much anymore. Take a look at this link 4.9 Wirining.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spadesluck

2069 posts
Member since Jul 2016
Side note, take some pictures of the turbo setup and post them. I would like to see how that is all routed.
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you talked to Olejoedad, he is on the forum.
galleycat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for galleycatSend a Private Message to galleycatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ill try to take the turbo pics this weekend ,
i know what has to be done, I just don't have the time to do it myself.
There is tons of diagrams on the internet and info
I was hoping there is someone local who has done it so I dont have to research it all over again
I saved all my notes but I really dont ever find time
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paying someone else to do that could be pricey honestly. They would have to pretty much start from scratch as well to figure it all out. If it where me I woudl just do small chunks at a time to maybe lighten the load.
galleycat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

galleycat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2017 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for galleycatSend a Private Message to galleycatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

galleycat

57 posts
Member since Dec 2004
her is a better pic all intercooler pipes and air filter off

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7...1117_102419.jpg?dl=0
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2017 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the pics.

What PCM are you using?
galleycat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for galleycatSend a Private Message to galleycatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i remember the Cadillac PCM and had the chip done by a local guy who was recommended on Pennocks. It might have been stick pony if he lives in So Florida?

It has been so long

I also have a Syclone / Typhoon computer if I get ambitious , I just want to get it running again then worry about turbo tuning.
I have an Edelbrock water injection and an Accel timing retard so I may have no need for the Syclone computer
I just really wanted to hook up a knock sensor. I don't know if that is correct thinking or not.
I'm really in over my head but like most things I hope to eventually navigate through.

Tuning is going to be a bear but 1 step at a time.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tuning is a project all in itself. I agree with you in taking it one step at a time for sure. It is less of a burden that way.
PFF
System Bot
Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2018 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, GalleyCat. Where are you located? I've got a 4.9 swap up near Daytona.

Ernie
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2018 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4.9L swaps are still around. The engines still turn up. I just completed one after 7 years with a 60k mile engine that was fogged and in storage. Its an easy and cheap ( but low tech) swap and IMO still a bargain for 275 ft lbs of torque with decent hwy mileage. The thing that I dislike most about it is the OBD 1.5. With a turbo those engines are pretty fast but I would not want to be the person tuning it.
Several years back there was a guy (forum name PBJ) who built this very engine and ran 12's . If you can locate him, he would probably have good tuning info. Another former forum member Jon (Rockcrawl) did some good things with that engine as well. Ed Parks probably was one of the originators of this swap but he's been retired for years. The place that made the 4.9L harnesses for the Fiero Factory was Injection Technology now owned by Phil Dull in AL.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

galleycat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for galleycatSend a Private Message to galleycatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply Dennis I did follow all of those guys "back in the day"

Too many projects running a business blah blah

I just got Fiero back from paint shop nothing like a shiny paint job to re-spark my interest
( and to keep wife from saying when are you gonna get rid of that piece of junk - NOW it's a cute car)

just need to pay someone here to finish the wiring ,
It now has new paint and new antique plates, The project has been resurrected.

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2018 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem I have with 4.9's is that they are basically un-rebuilable.... Pulling the heads tends to ruin the threads in the block. Had it happen to me.
Hence the only real options for performance is an Allante intake swap that when tuned can add about 20hp but then you lose cruise control because the intake and throttlebody gets in the way of the CC hardware...
Or you boost it, which presents it's own challenges.

It's a great upgrade over a 2.5 because its essentially double that engine, but that's about it... I got rid of a turbo 3.1 setup for a 4.9 and that was a mistake.
galleycat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2018 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for galleycatSend a Private Message to galleycatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis I cant find any links still up for injection technology

Lou I wouldnt do it again
but I have both the Allante intake and a turbo , and with all that I doubt I could come close to a modern engine hp, torque , reliability.

[This message has been edited by galleycat (edited 06-11-2018).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2018 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by galleycat:

Dennis I cant find any links still up for injection technology

Lou I wouldn't do it again
but I have both the Allante intake and a turbo , and with all that I doubt I could come close to a modern engine hp, torque , reliability.

Out of town for a few days. Will look up Inj Tech phone number when I get home. You might also try a search on this forum to find Phil.
As for the 4.9L being rebuildable, it certainly has been rebuilt before. In the event of head bolts being stripped out in the block, threadserts, timeserts or helicoils can restore threads to stronger than new. I have routinely restored stripped threads on a number of my projects

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock