Started on: 11-15-2017 12:28 PM
Replies: 9 (322 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-17-2017 12:11 AM
MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everybody,

I'm seriously considering buying a Fiero that did not come with factory A/C. It's an 88GT from Canada. I didn't even know 88 GT's without factory A/C existed.

Anyway, I'm looking at options to add A/C since that is an absolute must for me. I've been reading around about electric A/C compressors and the general consensus seems to be that they would draw too much power to be practical. However, I'm not sure if this is necessarily true in the tiny passenger compartment of a Fiero. I was looking at the MasterFlux line of compressors (which I understand would not be the only piece of the puzzle. Here's a link to one:
http://www.masterflux.com/products/sierra/?pid=22

Here's a writeup where someone did this with a DIY EV truck:
http://etischer.com/awdev/aircon.html

What do you guys think? It would be great to figure out an easier/more economical way of adding A/C than adding the factory A/C from a donor car.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The compressor only weighs 10.5 lbs. Looks like it draws 32 amps at full load so a 100 amp alternator should handle it. I would like to see how this would work out.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be curious as well. However the draw back to me would be the price of everything together once done.

Possibly mount it in the front to boot.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 11-15-2017).]

85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most Fiero people wouldn't spell "economical" eighteen-hundred-dollars! The correct spelling is another-Fiero-with-air-conditioning.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am also interested in using an electric compressor for mine- I ordered my Fiero from the factory without A/C....and have lived in the SF Bay area for 32 years without needing it....But A) I am planning on moving north to the Redding area soon (100 degree weather for 3 months!) and B) even if I did not move there, we had one heat wave after another here in the bay area- basically no fog at all this whole summer.

I would definitely mount it up front- save on length of lines and better weight distribution (I actually like to road race..not drag race).....
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it would be a whole lot cheaper to put a stock AC system on a Fiero than it would be to do an aftermarket.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If AC needs 32a then 100A alt maybe too small. Remember 100a is only the Peak output and likely will have problems driving in the city or 5th gear cruising, worse city et al at night w/ lights on. Sim to "power pulley" problems that some have.
See my Cave, Watt Story

Higher alt often = bigger size and bigger alts might not fit in a Fiero. Even "iceberg" CS130 cases have problems in some setups. Example: Fins hit intake manifold for 87-88 L4.

Originally posted by phonedawgz:
Yeah, it would be a whole lot cheaper to put a stock AC system on a Fiero than it would be to do an aftermarket.
Plus you don't need to design new AC evap box etc. Just an Aftermarket Evap and it's box/ducts can eat a lot of space you don't have in a Fiero.

Problem is AC is built into at least 200 and 500 zones, cabin and engine wiring. AC is wired to ECM too. To "direct" swap the donor would need V6 w/ same trans minimum.
If donor isn't exact match then very carefully cutting out AC wiring isn't fun.

either way is not easy to do this.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDanceSkillz:

It's an 88GT from Canada. I didn't even know 88 GT's without factory A/C existed.

I acquired an '88 Formula originally from Knoxville Tennessee... and ripped all the A/C components out of it. We're such a fickle species.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-16-2017).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From second link above: At low speed the compressor draws 1.5 amps and at full speed, 5.0 amps (@ 330vdc).
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:
From second link above: At low speed the compressor draws 1.5 amps and at full speed, 5.0 amps (@ 330vdc).
EV car have 330v so very likely car shown has 330v and using different version.

http://www.hvacrinfo.com/Co...0Product%20Flyer.pdf
http://www.tecumseh.com/~/m...-R3_21_July_2017.pdf

hvac pdf list SIERRA02-0434Y3 12v pulling 16.0 - 28.5a depending on motor speed just for the compressor. (Y is made for R134a. see Tecumseh pdf to read models.)
(vs OE AC clutch only eats 7-10a)
Then add most of things in Watt Story in my cave...

If alt is making low amps for any reason then any 12v battery will quickly die even driving on the highway.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock