Missfiring by NiotaFiero
Started on: 11-15-2017 09:49 AM
Replies: 8 (202 views)
Last post by: NiotaFiero on 03-23-2018 09:03 AM
NiotaFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1987 Fiero GT 2.8. I was driving along and all at once started to lose power, started sputtering and had to drive with very little acceleration in order to get home. I had the car towed to shop and they came back with this diagnosis “ engine is missing badly, not running on all cylinders. Identified #1 cylinder that was easy to access on rear bank that was missing. Checked for spark coming to the plug, seemed weak. Installed new plug to check for improvement-nothing different. After finding hold down screw for dist. cap broken causing poor firing and arcing inside distributor cap,need to replace distributor to ensure proper firing. After installing new distributor checked misfiring again to find cylinders #1,2,4 missing. Checked fuel injectors that could be accessed under intake and checked resistance— found them to be 13-16 ohms which is way out of specs. Will need new set of injectors.” I thought 13-16 was in good range. Any help would be appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like your mechanic is throwing parts at it. Because the misfiring problem is most often a bad ICM or Ign. Coil, I would throw those parts at it before taking the top off the engine. Have you ruled out bad fuel?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-15-2017).]

NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply, that’s kinda what I was thinking on the throwing the parts at it.
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NiotaFiero

215 posts
Member since Nov 2007
Would new distributor not include these?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NiotaFiero:

Would new distributor not include these?

ICM yes, Ign Coil no. You could also shoot a bit of starting fluid in the throttle body to see if it stops missing. If it does, then the injectors are messed up.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-15-2017).]

NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks , I tried the starting fluid and instead of smoothing out it would flood it and die.

[This message has been edited by NiotaFiero (edited 11-15-2017).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With a lot of arcing in the cap, chances for a bad ignition coil go up....spikes in the line.
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ll check that tomorrow
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2018 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car has been fixed. It wouldn't pull good because the shifter cable had jumped off in the console area, and was going into 3rd gear instead of 1st. Working now. Later found that one of the injector fuses had blown, replaced that and now good to go.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock