88 Brake Drag After Curb by Jeffiero
Started on: 11-13-2017 10:49 AM
Replies: 7 (185 views)
Last post by: Jeffiero on 11-14-2017 06:25 PM
Jeffiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeffieroSend a Private Message to JeffieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my heat fixed(thanks everyone).
I have a more serious problem. This car had a right front 20mph curb impact.
Silver Fiero's are invisible in Florida.
Ever since, no matter what I replace, the brake drags.
Not so bad jacked up. But on the road, not good.
New caliper, hose, rotor, tie rod end.
Hub and ball joints seem good, I switched the wheels around.
What did I bend?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possibly the knuckle.
Is the dragging noise constant or intermittent?
Jeffiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeffieroSend a Private Message to JeffieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Intermittent; suspected the rotor, but ruled that out.
I can have it loose, it will tighten up when I drive.
Open bleeder doesn't help.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take it to an allignment shop and have them look at it. A 20 mph curb impact will bend a lot of things and they will be able to tell you exactly what you need to replace.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IR thermometer quickly shows pad drag but needs wheels w/ brakes exposed enough to read rotor temp. both fronts should be very close to same temp. (some diff to read one side then other. rotors cool faster then most people think.)

"pad dragging" could be iffy wheel bearing allowing pad(s) or dirt shield noise. Bad or too loose. 88 front or rear is likely Bad bearing because can't adjust like 84-87 fronts

Dirt shield bent is common noise problem too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-13-2017).]

Jeffiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeffieroSend a Private Message to JeffieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no doubt that something's bent. I can understand where even a slight distortion of the knuckle or hub alignment could cause a rub.

It's not locking up, just gets much hotter on that side.

By the way, flushing worked(thanks ogre). Now I'm getting heat from my dash and my wheel.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2017 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jeffiero:

Intermittent; suspected the rotor, but ruled that out.
I can have it loose, it will tighten up when I drive.
Open bleeder doesn't help.

If the noise is intermittent, the knuckle isn't bent, the bent part is a rotating piece. Is the noise high pitched or low pitched in tone?
Jeffiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2017 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeffieroSend a Private Message to JeffieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The noise is now constant but slight- shoop shoop(swapped rotors). When I have the wheel off there is a slight rub. I can spin it with one finger but it will not go one revolution on it's own. I'm beginning to suspect that my new caliper is bad. I replaced the original because it was rubbing. I assumed that it was due to the impact. I know that old rebuilt calipers can be bad right out of the box. Even my new hose could be corroded inside, since it was probably sitting in a warehouse for many years.
The bearing has no slop and spins the same as the other side. To bend the knuckle with a curb hit would be one in a million.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock