Installing a factory OEM Subwoofer to aftermarket Stereo by yamaha94
Started on: 11-13-2017 09:10 AM
Replies: 5 (375 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-15-2017 09:53 AM
yamaha94

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Everyone, I am adding the original OEM subwoofer back into my fiero GT. I currently have an aftermarket Alpine stereo that the subwoofer output is only RCA left and right. The connector to the subwoofer is not RCA. How do I connect these two together? I was at walmart and saw an Amplifier Add-on adaptor that converts RCA left and right to stereo wires. Would this work?

This is the one that I purchased today:

http://www.scosche.com/loc90-line-output-converter

please let me know

thanks

marcus

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe this will be of some help.

http://calgaryfieros.com/OSGdocs/mod.radio.html
yamaha94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2017 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I think I have to do is make a custom cable from the Subwoofer RCA connection on the back of my Stereo head to the two wire subwoofer connection on the amp. I purchased an RCA volume control so that I can limit the volume going to the sub woofer so that I do not overload it. Will keep everyone posted once I start this project.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2017 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock subwoofer amp gets its inputs from each of the speakers. It is wired that way in the wiring harness. If you have the original wiring harness for the performance sound system then it's just plug and play. Nothing else is needed and your new head unit will power it fine. If you don't have the wiring Harness then you can splice in the inputs. There rca outputs on your amp are low level to be used as inputs for an amp. They will not work with the stock amp because the power level is to low. The anp expected high level input from the speakers. You can get an aftermarket subwoofer amp and use that instead of the stock one. That will allow you to use the rca on your head unit, but the slider on the courtesy light done will not control it.

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 11-14-2017).]

yamaha94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny enough I was looking at a wiring diagram last night and it made sense in what you stated. I have to make sure the OEM subwoofer amplifier is still hooked up to the wiring harness. If not; any recommended splicing clips?

Should I use these (if needed)

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/...iring-connection.jpg
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. Do Not Use ScotchLocks. The best is to direct solder the wires and insulate them with heat shrink tubing. You can also get butt splicers in varying gauges to insert the wires into, but solder the wires in and insulate them with heat shrink tubing.

My experience with the ScotchLocks when building kit cars was horrible. Many of the kits used them in their wiring systems and inevitably the connections failed, sometimes requiring one to be a circus contortionist to try to find and make a proper repair.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock