Started on: 10-31-2017 09:05 AM
Replies: 5 (463 views)
Last post by: dratts on 10-31-2017 04:36 PM
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still haven't been able to get my automoda convertible to run right. Specs call for 9-13 psi fuel pressure. I'm at 8 psi. Do I need a new fuel pump?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try a fuel filter first.....but 8 is too low.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Most test sets w/ 80-100psi gauges and higher are inaccurate to read low pressure. If possible switch gauge itself for 20-30psi max.

In general: Most Bourdon tube gauges are most accurate in the Middle 1/3 of Total range. Top and Bottom 3rds less accurate to read fine details closer to min/max of total PSI. Is why most test sets have ~100PSI gauge to read systems w/ 40-60psi.
If you regularly test systems w/ 80-90 psi and gauge is 100max then could change to 120psi gauge to get more accurate.
Digital gauges can have same issue depending on sensor design.

2. Pinch return line while watching gauge for a few seconds. PSI is now higher 15 psi then FP is likely ok.
Note that plugged line anywhere will "stall" the pump at max pressure and no flow to cool and lube can quickly damage the pump. Is why test only a few sec then release or shut down.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-31-2017).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gauge that came with my adaptor is 0-60. I did try pinching the return line and it didn't change the psi reading.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 10-31-2017).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by Gall757:

Try a fuel filter first.....but 8 is too low.

The instructions with my fuel pressure adaptor kit said to install before the fuel filter so if the filter is clogged I don't think it would affect my pressure reading.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001
I got the fuel tank out. It was a bear because of the frame reinforcing for the automoda top. The fuel pump that I got online has different electrical connections. The old fuel pump has two nuts for the electrical connection. The new one doesn't use nuts. I'm a little hesitant to try twisting off the replacement for the nuts on the new one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock