Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Flooding when starting cold (below 45F). Possible causes?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Flooding when starting cold (below 45F). Possible causes? by cebix
Started on: 10-28-2017 05:10 AM
Replies: 3 (242 views)
Last post by: cebix on 06-14-2020 05:36 PM
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2017 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'85 duke auto w/AC.

I have this thing when starting cold and on a cold day (about 45F and below) and I can't pinpoint what's causing this.

It'll start after a few cranks like everything's fine but die almost instantly. Then it won't start on its own, I can crank forever, unless I floor the gas pedal so it'll clear out the flood - so just a few cranks more with the pedal floored and it starts up. Then it'll misfire pretty badly for a few seconds like it's missing on one or even two cylinders until it settles for the idle. This lasts just a few seconds and then it runs great all day.

Like clockwork every morning the same thing. Has anybody had a similiar problem? Where to start looking?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Anybody? A slightest clue?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
During cold starts, the ecm relies on the air temp, coolant temp, MAP and stored values in various tables for fuel, spark etc. There is no ecm feedback loop, so if you are seeing an overly rich air fuel ratio, then I would start the focus on what would cause that.

A rich condition can be caused by:
Excessive fuel (leaking injector, high fuel pressure (clogged regulator or return line, etc))
Insufficient air (clogged air filter, clogged cat, etc)
Sensor driven enrichment (usually temp sensor reading a much cooler than actual temp, could also be the MAP reading a vacuum leak as more engine load, could also be the TPS set too high so the ECM isn't operating with the idle parameters).

I would check for leaking injector (maybe the seals leak more when cold),
Verify fuel pressure,
Check for a dirty air filter (try the startup one morning w/o the air filter),
Check for clogged cat (remove the O2 sensor from the pipe, but leave it connected and do a cold start to see if it stays running - don't run it long)
Check the air and coolant temp sensors (on cold start, measure their resistance values and then look them up for the corresponding temps).
Check TPS voltage closed and open.
Check for vacuum leaks
Swap out the MAP with a known good one (not a really good way to check).
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an old post but for future reference I recently fixed this problem.

It was the fuel injector. I replaced it since all other things failed and that cured it. The old one wasn't leaking and just by looking at it the spray pattern looks the same to me. Never really tested the injector itself.

It cranks twice as long now (weird) but never floods. Starts first time and runs, no stalling.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 06-14-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock