Started on: 10-07-2017 11:04 PM
Replies: 463 (16263 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 09-08-2020 01:41 AM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2019 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The key thing is they are narrowed at the stem at the bottom. Narrowed to the same diameter as stock 3X00 v6/60 valves. Personally, I will narrow my next set of valves even further.
IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2019 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stockers are much closer to being a tulip head, which makes porting for those valves much different than porting for the updated valves.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/vEy0dZN8y9A

I'm corn fed now!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 05-31-2019).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

https://youtu.be/vEy0dZN8y9A

I'm corn fed now!

300+rwhp on a Mustang dyno incoming in...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-31-2019).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

300+rwhp on a Mustang dyno incoming in...

That will make my day!! I need more fans like Lou, you guys keep me going!!!

lordfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2019 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What compression are you running, have you had problems before going to E85?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2019 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordfiero:

What compression are you running, have you had problems before going to E85?

10.85:1 is my current compression but because the cam I have I must run a very aggressive timing curve.
I did not change to E85 becasue I had a knocking problem.
I changed because I want to have all the upgrades made before I install the new short block, 3.7 with Iron heads.
One thing I tell you, There was a 50 degrees IAT temp drop just by changing to E85 on this engine.
Oh and now I can sleep at nigth knowing I'm helping the enviroment!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 06-01-2019).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2019 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But now you can go 12.5:1
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2019 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

But now you can go 12.5:1

The other short block with these heads will be at 11.58:1 exactly. So the E85 will be a big help!

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally took my car out yesterday for the first time with the E85 upgrade.
It feels much different than before, more explosive on the gas, revs faster, winds out
through the gears much faster and the cam comes in with such a punch that now
the clutch can't hold. Even in 4th while cruising when I give it more gas and the RPMs
start to climb and when the cam hits the clutch slips. Still have tuning to do.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2019 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finally took my car out yesterday for the first time with the E85 upgrade.
It feels much different than before, more explosive on the gas, revs faster, winds out
through the gears much faster and the cam comes in with such a punch that now
the clutch can't hold. Even in 4th while cruising when I give it more gas and the RPMs
start to climb and when the cam hits the clutch slips. Still have tuning to do.

Yes it's amazing isn't it? It also helped my 4.9 run NOT-PIG-RICH!
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2019 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The key thing is they are narrowed at the stem at the bottom. Narrowed to the same diameter as stock 3X00 v6/60 valves. Personally, I will narrow my next set of valves even further.

I've seen several tests of reduced stems, they really don't help as much as you seem to think, and they weaken the valve. I'd rather sacrifice 1-2 hp and have a stronger valve, breaking a disk off the stem makes for a bad day.

A better option would be to press in new guides with a smaller stem diameter. you'll pick up more flow than reduced stems, they have less friction because the stem contact area is smaller, and reduced mass. win all the way around.

FWIW, I've never seen a true hardcore race engine(built by a team) run reduced stems.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2019 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010
E85 has a slower burn rate compared to gasoline, you'll want to advance your total timing a little more to make the most of it.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2019 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:
E85 has a slower burn rate compared to gasoline, you'll want to advance your total timing a little more to make the most of it.

I did. And it likes the higher compression ratio. I picked up 10 or so rwhp switching to it.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2019 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E85 has its own rules and it let me know my distributor ignition system was very weak so i started to ugrade. Big thanks to Blacktreee for his
help, i'm new to DIS.
300WHP here we come1

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 07-29-2019).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2019 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How small of a spark plug gap did you try with the distributor setup before giving up on it?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2019 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

How small of a spark plug gap did you try with the distributor setup before giving up on it?

I didn't try different gaps because I had my mind set on switching to DIS already.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2019 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E85 has its own rules and it let me know my distributor ignition system was very weak so i started to ugrade. Big thanks to Blacktreee for his
help, i'm new to DIS.
300WHP here we come1

How close is the brick to your exhaust? It may not like that
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2019 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How close is the brick to your exhaust? It may not like that

the header wrap probably helps, that being said, I wouldn't want my ICM anywhere near the exhaust, wrapped or not.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2019 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That picture is deceiving. I strategically placed the ICM at this location because the heat will dissipate upwards not sideways.
Heat goes up right Will!? Specially if I use half of the deck lid. That means all the heat is sucked from under the car upwards behind the
reat window. And since I don't have anything boiling under the ICM I should be ok.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2019 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In that location, the ignition brick should only be getting radiated heat from the exhaust. The radiated heat can easily be blocked with a piece of sheet metal. I did just that, using some aluminum flashing material from the hardware store. You can cut it with scissors, and attach it to the mounting bracket with a couple screws. Simple and easy.
PFF
System Bot
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2019 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bang!!!! Another axle broken!!! I beat you Will!! LOL!!

https://youtu.be/cWNilJ-imy8
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2019 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least it didn't break the transmission.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2019 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

At least it didn't break the transmission.

I know and I'm great full for that! I found a shop locally that makes a set of axles for the F23 trans but
they are pretty expensive. But I think that's the only choice I have now if I don't want to keep having
this problem.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2019 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bang!!!! Another axle broken!!! I beat you Will!! LOL!!

https://youtu.be/cWNilJ-imy8

Driving like you do, I'm not surprised
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2019 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is why I save it for the track...
... and break on the track...
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2019 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is why I save it for the track...
... and break on the track...

Well, at the tracks I run I'd rather break it in my driveway. It'll be a pretty bad scenario if I have to keep the rear end
glued to the track accelerating through a turn at 75-90mph and suddenly I loose traction on the outer wheel!
That'll be catasthrophic! I'm getting some sponsors together to get the money for the race axles. Mean time these
axles have lifetime warranty, which mean as long as I break them I'll get a new one for free!

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2019 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, just go F40 ... You still get 4-speed-like 1st gear and it can take more torque. The only reason I'm breaking CV's is because of the bad HELD design where my splines don't go all the way thru the bearing...
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2019 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, just go F40 ... You still get 4-speed-like 1st gear and it can take more torque. The only reason I'm breaking CV's is because of the bad HELD design where my splines don't go all the way thru the bearing...

Do they make a kit for the F40? Whats the final drive ratio?
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2019 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the transmission is the problem.It will be interesting to see what the LSD looks like when it is apart.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do they make a kit for the F40? Whats the final drive ratio?

My car was the "prototype" car for Archie's V6 kit.

http://www.v8archie.us/economy-kit.html

You don't need a Dakota Digital unit if you just use the 2000ppm output from the ECM (if you are using 7730) instead and change the divider to 7 or 8... You'll still need to convert the signal from digital to analog going to the speedometer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_F40_transmission
Mines is 3.55 but first is 3.77 so it's as fast as the 4 speed 1st gear...if not faster...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 11-01-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2019 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

I don't think the transmission is the problem.It will be interesting to see what the LSD looks like when it is apart.

Since I have limited HP and TQ due to my displacement, number of cylinders and being NA, I designed the engine to
deliver the power as fast as possible, you can think of it as an antilag system on a Rally Turbo car.
The theory behind this is that becasue in the class I'm planning to run, the cars have twice the power but are much heavier.
So I can gain an advantage specially going into the corners, braking, coming out of the corners and accelerating.
Because of this sudden power delivery, the stock components are subjected to tremendous shocks and therefore the weakest links tend to show up.
So with that in mind the LSD should be OK. Now the weakest links are the axles.
If I use harder tires I can make the axles last but I don't want to compromise the grip of the softer tires.

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2019 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got it out. As you can see the axle wasn't all the way in due to the design of this particular LSD.
It incorporates a friction disc but is not hollow, which means the axle snap ring can't lock on its groove.
That is why you can see some twisting of the splines on the picture. I'll fix that.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2019 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2186 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Oops! Double post.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 11-03-2019).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2019 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would prioritize fully engaged splines over LSD, but that's just me.

------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ehh... It had enough spline engagement to wring off the shaft... what more do you need?

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ehh... It had enough spline engagement to wring off the shaft... what more do you need?

Tell 'em Will!
But yes, I'm addressing that now. Got to have it fixed before going any further.

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/CUCOC4cxjo8
Finally I took it her out for the first time on E85 and stiffer suspension!
I have to do lots of tuning yet so hopefully I can get on the dyno this coming weekend.
Springs are the way I like them, I can now feel the road!
I drove it for about 45mins and this short video was taken right before going to my house.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to lower my plug gap with E85. Looking forward to that dyno!
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had to lower my plug gap with E85. Looking forward to that dyno!

I had to do the same thing

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock