Still have low oil pressure, after installing a high volume oil pump by Madess
Started on: 09-24-2017 05:15 PM
Replies: 33 (906 views)
Last post by: Lilchief on 02-14-2018 08:07 PM
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had low oil pressure on my 3.4 v6 so I installed one of the high volume pumps. I still have low pressure, but it is better. It is slightly above the red and occasionally will trip the oil pressure light. Any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in tsharks corner. Don't trust the dash gauge. Pickup or borrow a new automotive pressure gauge. They come with the goodies for attaching it to your engine. Then see what pressure your getting. Now in my humble opinion if your running a Fram oil filter, all bets are off. And your welcome to ask me how I know.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

You need to read the computer value to see if the gauge is correct. Have you replaced the oil pressure sending unit?

There used to be an oil system flush. You may try that to see if there is a blockage, but also to see if it takes an abnormally long time, as well as if it actually flows.

Is the low oil pressure a recent thing, or did this start with the swap?

Computer doesn't know the oil pressure, the sender/gage circuit has no interface to ECU.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18046 posts
Member since May 2004
To the O/P.....

Are you using 2.8 pump and pickup?
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A high volume pump does not translate to high pressure.
I would install a mechanical guage and check.
Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have checked with a mechanical gauge, and the reading is accurate. This is a new condition, the oil pressure has been getting worse, over the last few months. It is a 3.4 oil pump.

[This message has been edited by Madess (edited 09-25-2017).]

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely worn bearings. Main and/or rod. The clearances in the engine determine the oil pressure. The pump only supplies volume.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put 20W-50 and if the pressure increases some then your bearings are shot
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like you I had the same problem with my 2.8 when the mileage went over 100K and using 5w30 oil. It would produce the same symptoms you have. It would not maintain pressure at idle and would sometime cause the oil light to blink. On rare occasions it would turn off the fuel pump and the car would stall. My solution was to increase the oil viscosity I moved to using 10w40 and have never had the problem again and now the mileage is 160K. My wife tried to be nice one time she was using the car and stopped and had the oil changed for me. The shop used 5w30 which the car calls for. It took 1 can of STP for the oil light to stay off at idle.

To test your car you could try adding the STP and see if your problem goes away. If it does then on your next oil change increase the oil viscosity 1 grade.

If you ever get to having to use 20w50 start saving for motor work..
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1Packrat:

Like you I had the same problem with my 2.8 when the mileage went over 100K and using 5w30 oil. It would produce the same symptoms you have. It would not maintain pressure at idle and would sometime cause the oil light to blink. On rare occasions it would turn off the fuel pump and the car would stall. My solution was to increase the oil viscosity I moved to using 10w40 and have never had the problem again and now the mileage is 160K. My wife tried to be nice one time she was using the car and stopped and had the oil changed for me. The shop used 5w30 which the car calls for. It took 1 can of STP for the oil light to stay off at idle.

To test your car you could try adding the STP and see if your problem goes away. If it does then on your next oil change increase the oil viscosity 1 grade.

If you ever get to having to use 20w50 start saving for motor work..

If your car shut off from low oil pressure, your fuel pump relay is not working.

This can be verified by disconnecting the OP sender with engine running.

If the car continues to run, the F/P relay is good, your stalling was caused by another issue.

If the engine dies, the F/P relay is bad.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 09-26-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18046 posts
Member since May 2004
Again, I ask the originator of this thread.....

Did you use the 2.8 oil pump and pickup, or did you use a 3.4 oil pump and pickup and modify the baffles in the oil pan?
Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, 2.8 pickup with 3.4 pump

[This message has been edited by Madess (edited 09-26-2017).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a PM.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Madess:

Sorry, 2.8 pickup with 3.4 pump

If that's the same engine I think it is... when it went together (it was originally a Grooms rebuild - purchased as a long block) the pump that came with it was lots larger than the 2.8 pump. I assumed it was the 3.4 pump.
How many miles are on the engine/car now?
Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2017 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nah, this is my normally aspirated 3.4. Yours is now turboed.
Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2017 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Madess

2040 posts
Member since Feb 2004
The 20w50 did not raise the oil pressure, so I am going to pull the bearing caps and check them. In the oil pan, I did find these little pieces of metal. Not sure what they are.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2017 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2018 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I took the bolts out of the main bearings, but I can not get the caps off, any thoughts?

Thanks.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2018 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those bits and pieces definitely look like rod or main bearings.

You are gonna have to do a rebuild.

Once the bolts are off the caps, you have to gently tap the caps and they will work loose.

I have heard of people replacing these with the engine in car. They are able to reach around and insert new bearings. But, if you spun a bearing then you crank is scored and needs refinished, and then fitted with the appropriately sized bearing.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mark the caps!
All Must go back in same place and same way.
if you mess this up now or in the past then expect to have problems again.
Examples:
Flip a cap on same bearing point like 1 rod may look like it fits but very quickly can eat the bearings.
Put cap for X piston on any other rod can do same thing. Might look ok to you but expect to eats bearings.

Been driving w/ bearing in pieces then likely the cap and rod if your lucky are toast. If a main bearing then the cap and block are toast.
Been driving and motor isn't slamming a piston in the head then likely bad main. Bad rod bearings often make very bad knock type noise as piston hits the head but not always. Plus Bad rods often won't make low oil pressure.
Mains in a block maybe can fix but will need to pull engine and take it to a engine shop.
Dead rod then need a new rod. Many OEM wrist pins are pressed in so need a press or just get done by a shop.

Shop won't "fix" just the mains but price a full block restore to rebuild and that cost a lot.
So if main(s) are damage then find a another engine.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a bearing for sure. If you decide to rebuild I have standard size rod bearings along with piston rings brand new.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spadesluck

2069 posts
Member since Jul 2016

So, I took the bolts out of the main bearings, but I can not get the caps off, any thoughts?

Thanks.

I tapped mine on the side with a rubber mallet just to loosen them up some.
Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a pic

bad bearings?

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has this bearing been wiped dry? Is the brown color oil, or is it the bearing itself?
Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The golden color in the very middle is oil, the copper color that runs all the way across is the bearing.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's worn down to the copper. Those were toast a LONG time ago.

How does the crank look?

Edit: you can even see more copper under each cylinder, where the pressure spikes as the piston is near TDC. Done.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-23-2018).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no doubt the crank looks like that also. run your fingernail on it, it should be PERFECTLY SMOOTH.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That main bearing is definitely worn. So at the very least, the main and rod bearings should be replaced. But I don't think that explains the chunks of metal in the oil pan. Maybe it chewed up a rod bearing?

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 02-12-2018).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

no doubt the crank looks like that also. run your fingernail on it, it should be PERFECTLY SMOOTH.

I've seen rod bearings come out looking like that and worse, while the crank was pristine. New set of bearings and the engine was fine. That's why bearings are SOFT... so that they save the crank.
Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2018 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The motor is coming out in the next few weeks and going to the machine shop. I will let you know what they say. Thank you for the help.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2018 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a theory: I wonder if one of the rods got bent, then started shaving chunks off the crankshaft thrust bearing. That would explain the metal shavings in the pan. But I'd be surprised if that happened. The stock 2.8 V6 rods should be able to handle about 250 HP. And of course, a stock or even mildly modded 2.8 V6 isn't anywhere close to that.

But I guess we'll see soon enough. Hopefully it isn't anything catastrophic.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2018 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The motor is coming out in the next few weeks and going to the machine shop. I will let you know what they say. Thank you for the help.

If it has good compression, I don't see why you'd want to do more than install new bearings, which can be done in the car.
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2018 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think you'd want to align hone it to get all the mains straight. Or you might be doing it again. And clean the oil galleys.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay