Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  86 GT Sat for 18 years after owner passed, RESTORATION CREW! I CALL UPON THE FOURUM!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
86 GT Sat for 18 years after owner passed, RESTORATION CREW! I CALL UPON THE FOURUM! by DasCabbageMan
Started on: 09-22-2017 11:32 PM
Replies: 4 (338 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 09-27-2017 03:07 AM
DasCabbageMan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2017 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DasCabbageManSend a Private Message to DasCabbageManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,
As the title suggests, I picked it up last week and have done the following to it:
-Spark plug wires and plugs
-Gas tank clean
-replaced fuel pump
-replaced distributer

Car is sparking, needs a new EGR valve... it will very briefly start, get to ~600-1200 RPM then sputter out into a stall. Using the gas pedal stalls it immediatley. Tomorrow the fuel rack will be checked over to make sure thats okay, as well as checking the hoses to see if im even getting fuel to the block. My TPS is not properly attatched to the block.. I zapp-strapped it to the block (as the screws broke inside the block). Nothing seems to be getting this car to start and stay running for at least a second except giving it very miniscule blasts of ether, which will start it and get it to run for a brief moment (2-3 seconds) before sputtering out again. I also noticed a rubber hose coming from my vaccume selanoid that rats chewed in half, and i cant find where it attaches. In the meantime I blocked it off with a girthy nail. Would that be important?

My next area to check is the sensors, however it's not my forte. What sensors should I look out for, and how can I test them?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2017 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd check a spark plug to make sure it isn't flooding, but it sounds like you're not getting fuel so you're on the right track. I'd check/replace all vacuum lines before continuing diagnosing. Or at least plugging off all the unimportant ones. Then check that oyu're getting an appropriate MAP sensor and TPS reading. I'd expect either would cause your issue.

Edit: Don't forget the coolant/engine temp sensor while you're at it. That too causes start up issues.

[This message has been edited by Stubby79 (edited 09-23-2017).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With that much sitting, the fuel injectors cannot be working correctly (if at all).

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-26-2017).]

Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cleaned the gas tank but didn't replace the pump? My 86 sat for 5 years and the bump was locked up from sitting in the fuel for 5 years not moving, Can't image 18 years that pump can still do the same capacity as it once did, also what is timing set at, and check vacuum lines. Plastic crack easily on those tiny lines.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to ignition position, but not yet to start position? It should come on for about 6 seconds. If it doesn't, check the fuel pump fuse and relay(in the engine bay on the firewall behind the driver). Those two have gotten me before.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock