Tach is way off?? by adm927
Started on: 08-31-2017 10:01 PM
Replies: 7 (275 views)
Last post by: J Gunsett on 09-02-2017 08:33 AM
adm927

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got my 88 GT on the road today. Noticed my tach is way off. Not sure if the tach is bad or if it is a wiring issue.it says I am idling at 1800-2000rpms. When I drive it and use the kickdown it goes off the end of the scale . Suggestions??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible someone has swapped in a tach for a 4 cylinder? A 4 cylinder tach will read 50% higher. What's the redline on it?
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the resister in the RC circuit is bad. Swap in another tack and I think you will be OK, or if you want to keep you tach I can repair and calibrate it for you.

Jack
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe it is my original tach. It is a 6k tach. What is the cost to repair it , compared to buying another used one?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if the tach filter would cause those symptoms, or not. Maybe someone else can answer that. I have a good 86GT tach, but I don't it's backlighted lke the 88.
tampalinc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having the same sort of issue with my tach. I thought is might be a failing capacitor so I replaced it to see if that would fix it since it was less than a dollar, but I still have the same issues. http://www.gmtuners.com/fiero/fmods.htm
While I was in there I made sure all the connections for the instrument cluster are clean and corrosion free.
This weekend I will be checking the wiring.
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know if you find anything out.
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2017 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tampalinc, I rarely find the capacitor goes bad. adm927 you have a PM, also are you going to go to "Run for the Hills" Sept 16?

Jack

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock