can someone tell me if a stattama turbo kit will fit in a 3800 fiero by jrb1027
Started on: 08-31-2017 02:21 AM
Replies: 13 (584 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 09-02-2017 09:33 PM
jrb1027

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jrb1027Send a Private Message to jrb1027Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a stattama turbo kit and am wondering if it will fit in my fiero without modificatins.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is a ''stattama turbo kit"?
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talking about this?

I suppose its possible, but I have no idea. I'd have to see one in the engine bay of another 3800 car, and measurements would have to be taken..
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For that much it better fit perfect. You'd have to be crazy to spend that much!!!

Unless its plug-n-play!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spending $5,000 on a turbo kit will cost more than an entire DIY swap. If you want a turbo, size it buy it, get the mounting flange, the SS piping, have it all welded together and you will be at less than half the cost.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jrb1027

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jrb1027Send a Private Message to jrb1027Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont need to know why not to buy a stattama turbo kit.

I already have one from a built grand prix. I assumed there were other people that had done this turbo kit, and just want to know how they routed it or modified it.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My read of the ZZP page is that the kit will not fit into a Fiero without modification.

But, hey, modification is the whole point of the exercise, right?
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, nothing ever fits in a Fiero unless it was specifically designed for the Fiero. That has been my experience. The Fiero is that peculiar. I imagine a turbo kit with all the plumbing will not be suited well to the Fiero engine compartment and its mid-engine layout.

But, honestly I do not know.

Sorry, we jump the gun and did not respond appropriately to your message.

We here, the Fiero community, are mostly a DIY crowd.

Owning a Fiero, as once said, makes you a good mechanic.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fitting in a turbo on a Fiero is very interesting even on "kits" that are supposed to be Fiero compatible. I have removed one from a 2.8 L engine (bearings totaled quickly with the turbo installed) and installed a different one (non kit type) on a 3.4 block. The compartment is quite full but not too bad looking.

Both of my 3800 engines still have the SC so I cannot comment on the degree of turbo installation difficulty with this engine. However, as always, be prepared to cut, fit, etc. for your specific design.

Note that the CAI has since been modified to receive air from the passenger side vent so I now have a chromed tube passing over the back half of the engine compartment. Extra chrome to clean but better intake air temperature.

Nelson
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that last comment on your Turbo Pic.

I literally cringed when I saw that K&N hovering over the exhaust, much less under the hood.

BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a place for a kit that works first time - if you have the money and not the time, or if you lack confidence in a DIY turbo (we've seen some bodged installs with damaged engines from ham fisted attempts) then the turn key aspect albeit at a price can be attractive. Unfortunately as someone that has done engine swaps, I think you can count on something needing modification in a different chassis than it was designed for.

If you do this, post a thread with the turbo kit name in the title so future people considering can take advantage of your pioneering.

As for price that isn't out of the norm. Wish I could find stuff for my BMW for that - supercharger kits average 1.5 - 2 times that price (probably figure owners can afford it, so....)
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The issue with most of the FWD turbo kits is that they place the turbo towards the front of the car with the air intake pointing forward. In the fiero, this turbo placement normally interferes with the front firewall and drivers seat.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At this point in the game I don't think anyone is designing anything for the Fiero aside from the DIY garage mechanic.

That being said this forum has a wealth of DIY people, and so is very supportive to anyone who wants to go down that road.

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2017 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just build a DIY and call it a day.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock