Running Rough - Power Charge System, Weird Tach Output by fieromatty
Started on: 08-16-2017 01:55 AM
Replies: 6 (168 views)
Last post by: Crasian on 01-21-2020 10:01 PM
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2017 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since my last post. My fiero doesn't get much love since I picked up my new Wrangler.

Lately, it has been having a really rough time. It all started with my alternator bearings going out. I replaced the alternator, and the battery because It was about that time (plus my buddy works at interstate and gave me a great deal). Its like I have a parasidic draw on the battery. It will eventually drain after a few days of driving. My buddy tested the battery and assured me its good. My tach is going crazy, it hops around reading the actual tach speed at kind of a logarithmic way (fine at idle, but goes up to 6000 at about 3000 rpm). I don't know what is going on.

Maybe its the ICM.

Its a 2.8, all grounds are new and battery cable and ground cable are new as well.

I am at a loss.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2017 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There could be more than one problem. Do you know how to test for a draw on the battery? I would do that first.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2017 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the alternator working? whats the volt meter say when the motors running? Should be above 13.5 at idle
Crazy tach could be bad filter ground/or power wire

shem
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2017 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

It all started with my alternator bearings going out. I replaced the alternator, and the battery because It was about that time
Its like I have a parasidic draw on the battery. It will eventually drain after a few days of driving.

A bad diode/short in the alternator can do that...
Recheck all the wiring you installed for a short too.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-17-2017).]

altownsend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that I have this problem:

Symptoms:

With key in the 'On' position, the volt meter reads 12 volts
With the engine running, the volt meter is almost 'O", when I turn on the parking lights, the volt gauge goes to zero.
Testing the battery with a volt meter, with the engine running, the voltage was 11.5 and 11.59 volts respectively.
I cleaned the terminals at the alternator and the contact block with the wire that goes to the battery.
With the engine running, and when I turn on the lights, the volt meter bottoms out to the left (at : O), the temperature gauge will also flicker to the left.
The engine is also running rough, and it has stalled out several times.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the key in the ON position, does the BATTERY CHARGE light come on?
Does the light glow with the engine running?
Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like the “new” alternator isn’t working.. should be above 13 volts with the engine running

-Crasian

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock